Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
My DD is 3.5 and were just now starting. First I waited untill we had clear signs my list included
1) naturally not wetting more than about 4 diapers a day (she was still soaking 10 prefolds or more at 2)
2) the ability to communcate enough to say things like potty I need to pee poo etc (language delayed so were finially at that point)
3) The ability to manpulate clothing pulling undies up and down
4) an awarness of being wet and messy
5) disliking the above
6) ability to sit on big toliet (I personally despise those little pottys)
7) ability to go through the steps of pulling down pants siting washing hands

Anyways we are clearly at this point I bought some training pants (gerbers) and some pull on pants I take her to the potty first thing in the morning after she eats and drinks anything before and after naps before bedtime (we still use a diaper aat night) as she gains a little more controll we will drop the pull on pants at home and then on the go, but it freeks her out if she feels wetness down her leg and were back at her screaming for a diaper. But some kids have better success going naked. I think above all the key is consistancy and I'd avoid those pull ups personally.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for replies. I am on day 2 of potty learning and ds can do all of the above on list, has done them for a while. I am leaving him in undies only except for naps and nights. So far ds has managed to pee once in the potty with the undies ON LOL, well he peed as he ran to the potty. I dont like the little pottys but i needed one so that i can move it from room to room with me as i am learning him. I am reminded him to pee every 15 mins or so. He had 3 accidents this morning before nap. Oh well, I cant give up!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi..

My daughter is also 2.5 yrs. old and am going through the exact same thing!

My daughter can do everything on the list as well, but her big distraction is my 11mth old little boy. He just started walking and he starts banging on the potty, and distracting her. She gets frustrated so I don't know how to handle this.

I also prefer the panties and she freaks out as well when the pee pee goes down her leg. I will admit, I have not been very consistant because my little boy takes up a lot of my time. So it's a bit difficult to try to potty train and give them the equal attention.....
help....
:

·
Registered
643 Posts
What finally helped ds start to learn was to let him go naked. At first we only did it outside and I could tell it clicked when he could actually see the pee coming out and realized "oh, that's what that is and it's supposed to go in the potty"
We then let him be naked inside. When he was pretty consistent with using the potty while naked we started with undies. At first he started peeing in them and not using the potty, but after a week or two he started consistently using the potty again. Aside from the occasional accident he is completely potty trained now

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by speairson
What finally helped ds start to learn was to let him go naked. At first we only did it outside and I could tell it clicked when he could actually see the pee coming out and realized "oh, that's what that is and it's supposed to go in the potty"
We then let him be naked inside. When he was pretty consistent with using the potty while naked we started with undies. At first he started peeing in them and not using the potty, but after a week or two he started consistently using the potty again. Aside from the occasional accident he is completely potty trained now

We did this and it worked great....

My dd is just two, so she still needs help with her pants and likes to sit on a little potty (or needs assistance on the big one) but always lets us know when she needs to go.

Just my personal two cents: I never did anything 'negative' associated with her potty learning.... when she pooped on her chair I just said 'oh shoot' and cleaned it up. When she peed in her clothes I just said 'whoops' and helped her change them. I've seen a few people work the shame/disappointment angle and it made me sad.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My ds can do a lot of the potty training techniques... in fact... it's his choice to sit on the potty, he doesn't pee anywhere in the house but his potty. There are 2 issues though- 1) he won't say "potty" or "pee pee", etc... so talking to him about it is rough and 2) he won't try and pull his undies up or down.

Is it easier to wait until he can do these 2 things? He's 27 months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.