Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about starting to CD but I am not sure how to start! I know that sounds so silly, but looking at all the different types I'm not sure what to get, etc. I want to get a couple of dipes and try them out part time before we make the switch from sposies.

I have been reluctant to start because it seems like you need a good chunk of money up front and I am the mom scrounging at the last minute for $ to get a pack of sposies. KWIM? So price is an issue unfortunately...

Can anyone give me some tips on getting started. My son is 3 months and weighs about 14.5 lbs if that makes a difference. We've been using sposies and I'd like to start with the easiest CD for the transition.

TIA!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Oh I didn't read the money concerns. You could always buy a dozen prefolds (about $20 depending on where you buy them) and a few covers. You can tri-fold the prefold and lay it in the cover, really easy and inexpensive. Or try the Trading post, you can get some good deals there now since it's a buyers market right now

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose it is a combination of the cost and the transition.

My DS goes through about 8 dipes in 24 hours using sposies...I know that they CD are less absorbant, so how many dipes can I expect to change w/ CD?

How many should I get to start out. I like the AIO's you suggested ChristyH! I think I might buy two of those. They are totally all-in-one right? No liners or anything needed?

Sorry, I have so many questions!!
TIA!

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Yup, the Very Baby's from Flutterbybaby are true AIO's so all you have to do is velcro them on just like a sposie. And there have been times when we have been out shopping and I completely forgot to change Jack and he went 3 hours in a VB AIO without a leak!

·
Registered
697 Posts
If cost is an issue and you want to have the ease of sposies, I would look into wonderoos because you wont need to keep buying larger ones as he grows. It should fit him untill he is potty learned. I like them because:
they are stuffable, i can put one insert in for trimness or 2 in for naps/bedtime
sinse the inserts come out,they come clean in the wash and dry super fast.
they are easy to use for daycares and daddy
they can be bought on the second hand market for a good price just about anywhere.
www.wonderoos.com

·
Registered
390 Posts
The easiest to put on and take off the baby are AIOs and pockets, but they're a little higher maintenance. Prefolds and covers are my usual preference, and they're not that hard, just take a little practice. However, I just bought a bunch of AIOs and pockets on the TP because my partner and my daycare lady both will use those when they're intimidated by the prefold/cover combination. I got some really good deals, so if you are okay getting used, I would recommend that route. The ladies I bought from were all very willing to answer questions both before and after the sale. My favorites so far are FuzziBuns pockets and Full Moon Baby Gear (FMBG) AIOs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.