Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 4 month old DS.

Right now he is in casts (born with bilateral clubbed feet) so I don't even know if it's possible right now with him going through that, teething, introducing foods (in a couple months),we're going to switch to a brace soon, etc. Would that be too much for him with all the other things going on?

I was planning on starting him on the potty at 6 months-ish. Just taking him in the morning, before naps, before bed, etc.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Now sounds like a great time to start!

You can start cuing him now (making a psssss) sound everytime you notice him peeing. And in a couple of days (or now if you want) offer him the potty when it's appropriate- usually after wake-ups, a few (5-15mins) after eating, and anytime there's fussing. When you offer the potty (or tub might work best for him with his casts) make the pssss sound or run some water to encourage him to pee.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I'll second that. I think it would be harder for him to have some solids and start pottying than to start pottying now.

I don't think the rest of it will make a difference to him. If he's overwhelmed the most likely outcome will be that you'll have *no* idea when he's going and will have to rely entirely on timing--after waking up, after long nursing sessions, etc.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Wow the potty already. Can he even sit up yet? My husband thought we were starting to early with our 16 month old as if has been proven that a baby can not control his/ her bladder until 22 months. I think it's great to expose them to the idea prior to that age just to give them the heads up. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2mama
Wow the potty already. Can he even sit up yet? My husband thought we were starting to early with our 16 month old as if has been proven that a baby can not control his/ her bladder until 22 months. I think it's great to expose them to the idea prior to that age just to give them the heads up. Good luck.
actually, lots of people believe that babies are aware of and can commiunicate about their elimination needs from birth. people who believe this practice elimination communication with their infants, basically helping their babies eliminate into a potty or other acceptable place rather then use a diaper. it's actually an age old form of baby care, and is practiced world wide, especially in less industrialized nations.
if you'd like to learn more about EC, the non-profit organization http://www.diaperfreebaby.org has some really good info on their webiste.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well said Clover!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts