Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of my old (and mostly unflavoured, aside from the lemon) and preferred cod liver oil, and picked up some fermented CLA at the health store. It was actually cheaper, but totally unflavoured. Straight-up fishy grossness. The first two times weren't too bad, I took it right off the spoon - but tonight I gagged and almost puked on the kitchen floor. Not a desired outcome.

Anyone else take cod liver oil, and do you have any suggestions to make it more palatable? I thought about putting it into a smoothie, but I'm afraid it will just ruin the smoothie. Plus, it has quite a fishy aftertaste, and I don't want to burp fish all day, so I had planned to take it at night.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I take mine in gel caps--no taste
thumb.gif
My kids take the lemon-flavored liquid kind, happily, but it's not for me! Are you opposed to taking it in another form?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but I have 500 mL of the stuff. I require 2-3 tsp/day (according to the WAPF guidelines) and that would be a LOT of gel caps to fill. Plus, the website says not to refrigerate it, and I'd have to, if I put it in gel caps.

I was wondering if I could add lemon essential oil, like the Health First brand....that might help?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I managed to take regular CLO in a large-ish glass of orange juice, well stirred. It diluted the CLO enough that I didn't taste it and the acidic orange juice cut the oiliness and aftertaste. I also had the phenomenon of being able to take it just fine from a spoon the first couple times and then getting really grossed out by it.

If I get more though I think it's going to be in capsules.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
My chiropractor has me taking liquid cod liver oil because she said I would have to take a ton of capsules daily in order to ingest the same dosage, so I decided to just tough it out. Mine is citrus flavored but still smells like the worst thing I've ever smelled, and I haven't attempted drinking it by itself. I shiver at the thought. I take all liquid vitamins (prenatal, vitamin D, and CLO) so I mix them all together in a glass of lemonade and it isn't bad at all. I can smell the CLO while I'm drinking, but the important thing is that the lemonade masks some of the taste. I know other people prefer drinking it with orange juice like Ursusarctos suggested. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I get capsules and keep them in the fridge. I take them right before bed so that I don't have the chance of tasting any fish burps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have stinky Blue Ice fermented CLO and I don't mix: that just makes it go from a spoonful of nasty to a cup-full of nasty. I take a spoonful and chase it with milk. And so far I've managed through my morning sickness, but I gotta say the Cinnamon or emulsified Mint is way better than the *shudder* Ginger and don't even think about the Orange. Yuck!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I take Green Pastures Fermented CLO and I find the syringe they give you with it makes all the difference. Just make sure you don't squirt it strait to the back of your throat, I tried that and it burned like nothing else in this world (I had to drink coconut oil to stop the burning). I used to LOVE the cinnamon tingle flavor (well, as much as you can love CLO
smile.gif
) but they are constantly changing their formulas and the newest version is way too sweet (stevia) for my taste. But I take it anyway because I know it is the only CLO that does not have synthetic vitamins added back in. I did capsules breifly during my first pregnancy just for traveling and you have to take a TON. It's just not cost effective at all. Unless you are encapsulating yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.