Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so mad! NONE of the Homebirth MWs in my area are on the prefered provider lists. Therefore, it's WAY too expensive for me to plan a home birth. There's just no way for me to afford it.

Is there some special process you have to go through to be a prefered provider or do HBMWs just get passed over for this b/c insurance companies really just want to pay lots more for medicalized birth?

So, how DO you get to be on an insurance provider's PREFERED PROVIDER list? In Florida, all insurance companies are required to cover homebirth, but they don't have to cover in full unless a MW is on the list.

Is there something *I* can do to get my prefered provider on the 100% covered list? It happened last time because the MWs were able to show the insurance company that the birth center they were at was in a safer location than the one that was covered, but these aren't the same MWs and I wouldn't use them again if they were paying me.

Thanks!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I say call the midwife...this is what I did. My insurance claimed that they didi not cover any midwifery services then I talked to my midwife and she said it was covered. She had taken the insurance from the same company and plan previously. It is worth a shot to call the midwife directly. Hope you can get it covered.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There are a few threads about this on MDC, and also a few websites, if you do a search. They recommend first contacting the Human Relations Dept. of your/partner's employer, and requesting that the service that you need be covered. I'd have the safety/cost facts of homebirth vs. hospital/birth center on hand. My ins. specifically states that it doesn't cover homebirth, but after much inquiry, they said they'd cover prenatal visits by my midwife, who isn't a preferred provider. They haven't actually covered anything yet, so I'm preparing for a fight. Good Luck! Keep us updated on what happens.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? Are there any MWS here who have actually become prefered providers?

I know someone here has to know how to get a MW covered as a prefered provider, not just Out-of-Network.

Thanks

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
Believe me, a homebirth is worth the out of pocket expense at any price.

I am serious.

·
Registered
105 Posts
ITA, they're worth the cost. We just had a homebirth last night!!! DD was also born at home. Many midwives will work with you on payment-trade, plans, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts