Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience with this. When I was in school, it was one class per each grade. I just got a letter informing me of what teacher he has next year. He wanted the new teacher (no reason stated other than because they were new, thought they'd be nice
he's 8, go figure). My main concern is #1, generally meeting the person and it'd be nice to have some say, and #2 there's one kid in paticular that he has problems with on the bus and playground, I do NOT want him in this kid's class if at all possible.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The principal assigned the kid's to their classrooms at the school my children just withdrew from (they are being homeschooled starting in the fall). She accepted recommendations from the parents starting in January. She had final say in whether or not the child was placed according to the parent's preference. I would call the school as soon as possible and talk with the principal about moving your child to avoid him being with the other child. If they cannot move him and he ends up in this child's class, talk with the teacher and explain the situation so they don't get sat together.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We would deal them out.

Girl's names were written on pink cards and boys on blue. We quickly rated them on accademics, socail skills and behavior.

The three teachers would get together with the principlal and try to deal the kids out evenly. Ocassionally breaking up two kids that really butted heads or keeping two kids together that had worked hard on their social skills.

Even with that, there always seemed to be changes come September.

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
We are invited to write a letter if we want to explain our child's learning style and what type of teacher they would do well with. We are not supposed to actually name a teacher we prefer. The teachers also consider the social/peer issues, boy/girl ratios and any other special requests if made.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
We have the option to choose their teachers. I'm really happy with the Alex's teacher for next year, we choose her and she choose us. She is our doula's neighbor and we really didn't know each other until' one day his named clicked and she asked me if this was "baby Alex". I said yes, but not much of a baby anymore

We also choose Sammy's kindergarten teacher for the fall, we just adored Alex's Kindy teacher and we already have a relationship with her from Alex. Sammy know's her by name, but needs to learn to stop calling her "Alex's teacher"

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
The teachers from each grade would sit down and take the cards with each student's name on it a put them into classroom groups for the next grade's teachers. Ex: 4th grade teachers would take their students and put them into 5th grade classrooms. That way, they could group them how they wanted. For example, a whole bunch of rowdy kids would not all end up in the same class. Not grouped for achievement but personality. Or, one class would not have 17 girls one year and then 20 boys the next year (which I had once - wild two years!). Principal would then look them over and make comments about redoing or would accept them. As far as I know, we all paid no attention to parent requests. It was in parent handbook that parents cannot request a teacher.

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gendenwitha
My main concern is #1, generally meeting the person and it'd be nice to have some say, and #2 there's one kid in paticular that he has problems with on the bus and playground, I do NOT want him in this kid's class if at all possible.
If you have some say you have to give all parents some say and it is much easier for two or three or four teachers to organize the kids into classrooms than trying to get 50 to 100 parents to agree. If it is private school, then the situation is different because you pay for that privilege and the school has a way of dealing with it. As for the problem kid, contact the principal. Chances are, no one wants their kid with that one and somebody has to be in his class. But, the principal should talk to you about what you can do to help the situation.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I just wanted to comment on the problem kid issue. My son had issues with one little boy all through second grade. We explained to him the little boy probably just wanted to be friends with him, but didn't know how to approach being friends. We also explained that the boys who pick on the other kids are usually have had their feelings hurt by someone before (home or school) and are afraid to be nice b/c they don't want their feelings hurt again. Of course, this isn't always the case. When they started third grade, my son made an effort to be more patient and tell the boy he wanted to be friends. Lo and behold they are now fairly good friends. The same thing happened with my younger son in first grade this year. A little boy who always seemed to cause a ruckus. My son has said for the past few months that the little boy is in trouble a lot. My son chose him for a partner for the year-end field trip. I asked him why he chose him and he said b/c noone else would have chosen him. They all think he is too much trouble. During the field trip, I found out his mother died in Oct. of a brain aneurysm (sp?). It was sudden and noone knew it was coming. This little boy is now responsible for getting himself ready for school and putting himself on the bus. It is not uncommon for the father to sleep in while this boy and his siblings get out the door on their own. No wonder the little boy is having issues at school. Just keep in mind you don't know what other factors are involved in the child's life and maybe he really needs to have someone on his side.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Many schools assign students to teachers based on their grades and test scores. It is called "tracking".

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
Many schools assign students to teachers based on their grades and test scores. It is called "tracking".
Wonder where you are because tracking is pretty much on the outs. I was tracked as a student in the 1970s but tracking is a bad word in the field of education these days. What is considered more appropriate is to group for reading and math and re-evaluate those groups often and redo them throughout the year. That way, kids are not stuck in the group all year. The only kids who are tracked these days are the severely disabled and the seriously gifted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts