Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for detox support when I go on a special diet to heal my leaky gut. I'm breastfeeding so I need something safe for that also. They talk about die-off and I dont want the toxins dumping into my milk and affecting my almost 8 month old. So I'm wondering about these things that I've heard help with detoxing.<br>
Activated charcoal<br>
Lemon in water<br>
Epsom salt baths<br>
Clay<br>
What can help bind and what helps remove them?<br>
What helps with yeast, fungi, bacteria, heavy metals, other toxins that need to be removed from a person?

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone help?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
<p>I have a little bit to offer...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Personally, I would not willingly detox while breastfeeding (nor while pregnant). I'd wait. Even if I weren't pregnant or breastfeeding, I'd wait until Spring or Fall to detox. This is just what I have been taught and it makes sense to me. While waiting, I would work on my personal nutrition through food and bettering my health in ways that did not affect my breastfeeding infant. For me, that meant waiting to have my amalgams (old and beginning to crack and loosen) replaced.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But, to answer your question, I only know about lemon in water and epsom salt baths. Lemon helps alkalize the body. (Yes, lemons are acidic, but their effect in the body is alkalizing.) Epsom salt baths give the body magnesium, which provides support to the body, and helps the body release certain things.</p>

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
<p>I too would warn that the detox from the leaky gut diets (are you doing GAPS? SCD?) can be intense. I started one sort of haphazardly because I noticed that a grain-free stint left me feeling much less moody. Then I got hit by detox symptoms big time, and realized what I was getting into. I'm not sure I would choose to do that again until I was through breastfeeding.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But it's also true that your leaky gut can be harmful to baby, too. I know it's a hard decision. What kind of toxins are you carrying that could come out? Do you have amalgams, for example? I'd be super careful if you have any heavy metals on board.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>All that said, here is my understanding of the detox agents you mentioned:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Bentonite clay and Activated charcoal are both adsorbents, and they "mop up" toxins by binding to them.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Epsom salts bath support detox by providing sulfates (in the form of magnesium sulfate), which is a specific nutrient pathway used by your body to detox effectively and safely.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lemon water can also "stir up" toxins in addition to supporting good detox, so I'd be careful there.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You also might want to consider Modifilan, which is another "mop-up" detoxifier, binding to whatever toxins may get released by your diet. It also is a source of iodine, which you and your baby would both benefit from.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Vitamin C in high doses is another thing to add when supporting safe detox.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Gotta go, but there's more. Maybe someone else can answer more. In any case, make this decision very carefully. It's not a light undertaking while breastfeeding.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>I am doing SCD. Day two right now. I tried it in the month of October but went off for the months of November and December because I unknownly ingested thyroid pills that contained gluten (we are gluten intolerant) and I and DD was reacting to that and I wanted to wait until we were done with reacting to the gluten to see what we were reacting to in the SCD diet. Now we are done reacting to the gluten and she is a little older. I need to do it because each kid is reacting to more and more of what I eat and what goes through my breastmilk-I don't want to have my kids do formula. I'm already avoiding gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, and chocolate. I can't keep knocking things out of my diet. Soon I'll have nothing to eat. And I hate having my kiddos react when they are little-screaming, writhing in pain because I accidentally ate something I shouldn't have. I need to heal my gut. For myself and the future kiddos. I don't plan on staying on the diet forever, just for a year or so. Then go back to a "normal" diet-still gluten free (I can NEVER go back to eating gluten, never, accidentally ingesting it showed me I can never go back even if I somehow am healed and able to eat gluten, which I won't test to see if it's ok) but NOT the SAD diet. I also noticed anytime I have medications or herbs, anything, I put in my mouth has an effect on my breastfeeding babies. More so then most mothers who breastfeed. What happens when I need a medication/herbs that wouldn't hurt a normal healthy breastfeeding mother and baby but will effect my baby? I have to be careful what I put in my mouth. So I need to do this diet. I will soon be pregnant and don't want to start it then. I tried to do it last year but got pregnant but it was REALLY hard on my body. So I would like to be advanced enough when I get pregnant that I won't get sick really bad. BTW there hasn't been a time that I wasn't pregnant or breastfeeding or both since 5 yrs ago. So waiting till I'm not breastfeeding or pregnant is going to be forever.</p>
<p>I do have amalgams. But how would I figure out what other toxins I would have in my body? I only take my thyroid meds, no other meds that would be toxic.</p>
<p>Thank you for your info. I want to use safe things that will help get rid of these toxins. I will do epsom salt foot soaks, vitamin C, activated charcoal. Is there anything else? Anymore info?</p>

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
<p>I understand where you're coming from. It does sound important to heal your gut. And even if you just don't irritate your gut while breastfeeding and pregnant, it will give your babes more ability to seal their own gut while they're breastfeeding.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you have amalgams, I'd definitely look seriously at Modifilan. It could make a real difference for you and baby in this process. It is derived from seaweed, which is OK in the second stage of SCD. But GAPS, which is based on SCD with just a few difference, allows seaweed products.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Every time I log on here, I am running out of time! I'll try to get back on again to say a few more things. Good luck!</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts