Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what lanolin is, but does anyone know what the process is for getting the lanolin? Is it collected, or do the sheep have to be killed? I have never even thought of this before, but the ethics thread got me thinking about it.
Anyone know??
TIA~Debi

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I just looked at a few sites and here's what I found...

LANOLIN is separated from the shorn sheep's wool after each spring clipping.

...is derived from the shorn wool- a cruelty-free product. Nearly identical to your skin's own natural oils, it is impossible to duplicate synthetically.

So it looks like no sheeps died for the lanolin? I'd be interested in hearing what other have to say though because these were obviously pro lanolin sites...

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No, sheep are DEFINITELY not killed for lanolin. As I understand it, it is basically sheep scalp oil - imagine if you never washed your hair and then it got cut off, well, it would need to be cleaned before somebody could use it in a wig - same idea for a sheep. Lanolin is a wool by-product - after they shear the sheep they wash it (a sheep's coat is NOT soft, despite all appearances, it is dense, tacky and a little smelly) and the lanolin is washed off (and collected, I presume!). Then, if you're Lansinoh you get really purified and put BACK on the wool in the form of a diaper cover.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I am so glad I saw this post, I was just wondering this the other night as I lanolized my covers with liquid lanolin.

I had the mental picture of someone squeezing a sheep and trying to get all the oil out of his hair/coat/fur (whatever its called.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.