Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are lots of nicknames out there for breastfeeding and for breasts, but so far I have not come up with anything special to call it. DD is only 10 mos though, so maybe she will come up with something when she starts vocalizing? When did your nickname come into existence and for those of you who were nursed beyond infancy yourselves, do you now use the same word(s) for breastfeeding that you and your mother used when you were a child?

I love hearing the nicknames other people use, but feel out of the loop since we don't have a nickname yet.

·
Registered
570 Posts
our nickname came on us very fast. her "cross" noise became the word, because she started only saying it when upset and clawing at my collar. "dig dig di di dig dig", she'd say, so we call it Digdig. It comes very naturally out my mouth now, "you want some digdig?"
I had a delimma - should we be delibrately lactivist and use an identifiable word? Decided since we found a way to communicate, we'd save our lactivism for the actual act

so im dak'ing now
excuse lack of caps.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
We always just say nurse. I'll ask Halle if she wants to nurse, or she'll come over and say she wants to nurse. Maybe we have a lack of imagination here. I really can't stand some of the things I hear kids call either nursing or their mom's breasts, but I won't go into details for fear of offending.

take care,

·
Registered
711 Posts
We also say nurse. I will ask Peyton if she wants to nurse, and she usually replies with 'Yeah" or NeeNee since she can't say nurse yet

·
Registered
503 Posts
We call it "milkies," as in, "Ally, would you like some milkies?" I actually don't know why we started calling it that. I think i may have heard someone else saying it and thought it was cute.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I think milkies is cute also! I said 'milkers' a few times but it never quite caught on. From about 7-13 months Dyl just clicked her tounge when she wanted to breastfeed. Now we just call it "nurse" only, she pronounces it without really saying the 'r'. It is really cute when she gets excited and jumps up and down going, "Nuuusssee, nuuuse, nussy, nussy, nussy!"

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
It's "nummies" for us. My mom breastfed all of us, and since I heard "nummies" for 15 years straight (no breaks between kids, I am the oldest...) that's just what it was. I'm pretty sure I was the one to coin this phrase, when I was a toddler. I'll have to ask my mom.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I always just said nurse but last month Olivia decided that it is called diddy so that's what it is now. I have no idea where she came up with it! When she wants to nurse she will either just say diddy or I want diddy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My ds started out asking by patting my chest and saying mama. Then I started asking him if he wanted the other side. So he eventually turned it into ud side mama. He doesn't get that ud is other, because he now asks for the other ud side mama. Too cute.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
my dd was your dd's age when she coined "mi mi" for mine. i'd always asked her if she wanted boobings (from a saturday night live skit, dh and i were joking about it and it stuck) but she named em mimis. that's what she asks for now; "want some mi mis, pease mama!"

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My 2 year old says "boo boo". Not sure how it started--my older one called it that & it just stuck with this one, too.

When he wants to nurse, he'll whisper "some little hot boo boo?" very sweetly. If I don't reply right away, he's apt to stand in the middle of the room, fists clenched and scream "I WANT SOME LITTLE HOT BOO BOO!!!!".

Real nice when we're out in public.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
i say do u want to nurse and now she says nummm, mmmmm mmmm

its too cute

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
We call it milkies here too...not sure why, but that's what it is. I used to ask you want to nurse, but then we had the milkies thing...

my dd called it num nums for a while because one of her friends cleed it that.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My dd never called it anything.
She weaned at 20 months while I was pregnant and didn't speak until after her 2nd birthday (a weird trait on dh's side of the family).

My ds however, calls it NaNas. Dh and I just say Boob... it can be used as a noun or a verb. "Do you want boob?" or dh will say from the other room "I think he wants boobed". LOL

A friend of mine, her ds called it Noo Noo and even after he weaned he still calls it that.
In fact, she said when they walked by a bra display at the store the other day he said "Mom, look! They protect Noo Noos! Oh, we can call Noo Noos breasts too." LOL! (he's almost 4)

·
Registered
199 Posts
When ds #1 was newborn, someone said I was a human pacifier, which I was, and was quite proud of, so I started calling it "binky" (as in, what some people call pacifiers), then ds ended up calling it "binks". So now we have "binks".

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I just always asked DS if he wanted the boobie, and he'd say yes or no, or say "Mmmm!" When he started talking a few months ago he called it "bobby", which is his way of pronouncing "boobie". So, that's what he calls it now- he'll walk up to me and say "Bobby? Bobby? Bobby?" :LOL I like it because it doesn't sound too offensive when we're out and about, since we nurse anywhere and everywhere!

·
Registered
812 Posts
My older son used to call it 'nah nah', then as he got older he simply asked to nurse. I preferred having a nickname, especially as he got older and we moved to a much more conservative town and he would ask out in public (esp when tired). "Nah nahs" are still his word for my breasts, although he delights in the word "nipples." (gee, can't imagine why
)

Will be interesting to see what ds#2 calls it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
we just call it 'milk'... funny though, this means that all other milk must be further identified by my 3 yo, as in 'cow's milk' or 'soy milk'... she was quite excited when she heard about coconut milk... but 'milk' definitely refers to what comes out of these babies right here on my chest!

my little guy (almost 2) just had tubes put in his ears 2 weeks ago, and the first sign that his hearing had improved as a result came when the next day he said 'muhk?' instead of 'muh?' when he wanted to nurse! YAYYY!!! love that k!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
My first child called it" Nursies"--too precise for me in public--I WANT NURSIES!!

So child # 2 came up with" Nanny" which we liked a lot so I kept it going for #3.

Some of these are sooo cute!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts