Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a 3yo that loves small objects is seeming like a baby-proofing nightmare! How in the world do you do it? He has tons and tons of those little cars with small wheels, he loves to play with the contents of his piggy bank, his other favorite toys include many small parts, and now he's collecting agates and other small rocks, what do you do? If I put all the unsafe toys away, he won't have anything that he loves to play with in the middle of winter---aaaaack!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any ideas?

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
some of the really dangerous stuff like marbles (I hate them!!) I do put away for use only with close supervision, other stuff like tiny lego has to be used sitting up at the kitchen table where crawlers can't reach (until they learn to climb lol)

cars with little wheels - well unless the wheels come off easily they're OK by me

apart from that there are things older kids don't want babies to get into and will want to stash them away safely to use when bubs isn't around (alseep, out with daddy etc)

and younger sibs do get some more relaxed parenting than firstlings! ds3 has been around lots more "dangerous" stuff than his older bros ever were but he learns quick, eg ds2's rock collection is fascinating to him so occasionally we do get it out to look at together then carefully put all the pieces back in their special bag, he loves to do the putting back as much as the tipping out, and I have made him his own collection of much bigger pieces to use unsupervised too

when ds2 was a little guy, ds1 (about 6 or 7 at the time) had his own room and we set up a baby gate at the door to keep the whole room babyproof which was sort of OK, except ds1 prefers company so found he actually didn't enjoy being in there alone much, even with door open and baby gate in place

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great ideas, thanks! I had thought about putting things up and taking them out at certain times, but I'm paranoid that something will get left out, yk. But I guess with a crawler I'll be watching him all the time anyway, just don't want to be on edge every minute if I happen to look away. Maybe 3yo will get enough entertainment with the baby that he won't need his toys as much?? Wishful thinking!?

Keep it comming!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
We've already had to sit DD down and tell her that her tiny toys will have to stay in her room, or stay in a special box up high where DS won't be able to get into them. She's only 2, but she has a collection of "treasures" (dice, some small stones, some pom-pom's, etc) that DS could definitely choke on if he got ahold of them. We nearly had an "incident" a few weeks ago, when he managed to pick up a dice that she had left on his Exersaucer, which is why we've made this new rule. Our playroom HAS to be totally childproofed for both children, as that's where they hang out if I have to use the washroom, or leave them alone for a minute or two to switch loads of laundry.

She understands why this rule is necessary, at only 2yrs old. So I'm sure that you're 3 year old would understand if you have to put up all of the small toys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.