Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love just plain baked sweet potatoes, but they make a real mess on the pan. I used to wrap them in foil until I read about how harmful using aluminum to cook can be, so I'm wondering how you bake them so it's easy to clean up?<br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
what an interesting question!<br><br>
My great-great-aunt said you could reduce the mess when boiling them by greasing the pot, so why not grease the pan? Use cooking spray. Or use baking parchment, that works even better.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I found that when I baked yams that they made a big mess, but actual sweet potatoes didn't. I like sweet potatoes better than yams anyway so I went with those.<br><br>
You don't have to pierce them.<br><br>
I would put a piece of parchment paper down under them just in case. But I haven't had a sweet potato juice out on me if I don't pierce it.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I bake them in a glass baking dish. You can spray the bottom very lightly w/ cooking spray and the cleanup is much easier.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I have been baking them in an oiled glass dish, but they still make a sticky mess. I think I'm going to try parchment. Is there something special that you buy? thanks.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You can use just regular brown paper instead of parchment, if you like. A piece of brown paper lunch bag works great. I use this for baking pears so it doesn't make a mess in the pan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts