Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really interested in becoming a midwife someday, but I know this is not the right time. It will likely be 10-15 yrs before I can even consider the schooling. However, it hit me tonight, that perhaps I could become a doula. I have absolutely no idea how much training is involved or where to get it. I currently live in northeast Kansas, but will probably be moving to Pittsburgh, PA area within the next year.

Also, what's involved with being a doula? Can you do it part-time? How well does it pay? I have a Master's in Social work, but I don't really want to practice social work now, and I really want to be able to stay home with my kids a good part of the time (I don't mind working some part-time hours). TIA!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
www.dona.org has a place for questions on becoming a doula.

The rate really varies, from 300-1000 dollars a birth, depending on where you live. I am in Minnesota and it is about 400-600 on average.

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't find the info I was looking for last night through DONA. I did check out CBI though and I'm so excited! I can't wait to get started! I'm just sad that I didn't think of this 2 yrs. ago before I started grad school.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts