Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really interested in becoming a midwife someday, but I know this is not the right time. It will likely be 10-15 yrs before I can even consider the schooling. However, it hit me tonight, that perhaps I could become a doula. I have absolutely no idea how much training is involved or where to get it. I currently live in northeast Kansas, but will probably be moving to Pittsburgh, PA area within the next year.

Also, what's involved with being a doula? Can you do it part-time? How well does it pay? I have a Master's in Social work, but I don't really want to practice social work now, and I really want to be able to stay home with my kids a good part of the time (I don't mind working some part-time hours). TIA!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
www.dona.org has a place for questions on becoming a doula.

The rate really varies, from 300-1000 dollars a birth, depending on where you live. I am in Minnesota and it is about 400-600 on average.

·
Registered
10,797 Posts
I live in South Africa and am currently studying through www.childbirthinternational.com to become a doula. I have three kids and not much time on my hands because of that so this type of learning (distance learning) is perfect for me! The level of commitment to the students is awesome! Check it out

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't find the info I was looking for last night through DONA. I did check out CBI though and I'm so excited! I can't wait to get started! I'm just sad that I didn't think of this 2 yrs. ago before I started grad school.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts