Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'am a huge supporter of Homebirths either midwife assisted or unassisted. I was thinking of becoming a lay or cpm midwife in attempt to encourage more homebirths in this country, so how do you go about that?

·
Registered
364 Posts
There are many routes to becoming a lay midwife or a CPM. I am doing a distance learning program through the National College of Midwifery. In order to be accepted into that program you must have a preceptor (midwife) take you on as a student. You do your clinicals with her and she is responsible for overseeing your academics. There are several other programs like that. Once you finish the program you can sit for the NARM exam to become a CPM.

There are also on site schools where you get your clinical and academic work right in one place.

Another option is pure apprenticeship where you learn from a senior midwife. Once you've been with her for some years you can go on to practice as a lay midwife or take the NARM exam to become a CPM.

Note that even if you pass the NARM exam some states will not allow you to practice unless you've had formal schooling. I think CO is a pretty laid back state, but I'm not 100% sure.

The book "Paths to Becoming a Midwife" by Midwifery Today is a great book to read before you make any choices.

Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts