Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you go about choosing a 'mothers helper'. I am trying to look for someone to watch/play my ds for about 2 hours a day, 4-5days a week, and I am flexible with the time, I just need 2hours starting anyway from 9am - 4pm. I work PT at home and go into the office once a week(he goes by his grandmother during this time). I am suppose to get in 4 hours of work each day and it is hard at times to do that with an almost 8month old and still do my housework.

I will feed and change him. I just need someone to occupy his time.
Not sure how long I would need this service. If everything is going well I will keep my job, if not then I may quit and wouldn't need a 'mothers helper' so often.

Should I just put posters up in my areas?
What sounds like a good pay rate?
What ages should the babysisters be?

TIA

·
Registered
125 Posts
Several years ago, I saw that our library was hosting a babysitter training class (I think many of them do this now that it's summer). I went to the teacher and told her I was looking for someone and could she post my name/number for the students (mostly 13-14 year olds). I got several phone calls after that and picked one who worked out well, at least for the summer! I think it would be more difficult to find someone young with time during the school year.

As far as age for mothers helpers, I've always used kids about 13-15, although this summer (and with 4 kids) I'm trying to hire a college student. They charge much more ($10-12) but I'll be asking a lot of them, lol. I'm not sure what you would pay a younger person, but I bet it's at least a little less!

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I've had good luck with homeschooled 12-13 year olds as mother's helpers with my kids. Younger teens are cheap. They have enthusiasm when it comes to playing with the kids. One of mine even helps with housework while I work with ds1 on homeschooling stuff.

You could post on MD homeschooling email lists or call places that host homeschool co-ops.

What area of MD are you in?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just sent a notice to my mom's LDS church looking for a teen in the area to help out around here. I used to be an LDS babysitting crazed teen so I instantly have faith in their good-nature and trustworthyness (plus I used to babysit several young women that are now babysitter age)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I've had good luck with homeschooled 12-13 year olds as mother's helpers with my kids. Younger teens are cheap. They have enthusiasm when it comes to playing with the kids. One of mine even helps with housework while I work with ds1 on homeschooling stuff.

You could post on MD homeschooling email lists or call places that host homeschool co-ops.

What area of MD are you in?
I am located in the Arbutus/Catonsville area and I am also about 10 minutes from Baltimore city.

Where do I find a MD homeschooling list?

How much would you charge for the ages mentioned?

TIA

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by melikahiwa View Post
I just sent a notice to my mom's LDS church looking for a teen in the area to help out around here. I used to be an LDS babysitting crazed teen so I instantly have faith in their good-nature and trustworthyness (plus I used to babysit several young women that are now babysitter age)
What is LDS? I guess I will see if my church has one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
LDS means Latter Day Saints, otherwise known as the Mormon church. It's a denomination. LDS teen girls have a reputation for being into kids, as many of them come from larger families and are planning to marry and have children once they're out of school.

You can find MD homeschooling lists on yahoogroups. BWHE is probably the biggest one.

I'd pay $4-5 an hour for a 12-13 year old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.