Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 1/2 month twins who are still quite floppy. Definitely can't sit up by themselves and so pooltime is OUT while I'm home alone. So how do I deal with them in hot weather?

They are such wusses about it. There are days that I think are quite comfortable that I've broken down and put the AC on just to be able to juggle the two of them. They don't like the feel of my or their own skin when they're hot. They don't nap all that well. They even skip meals. And if it's over a certain humidity level, forget about a walk. Ugh. I never imagined I'd be spending so much summer time inside.

What do you do to keep them from making you miserable? I mean, I keep telling myself people have babies in India and France and all over without AC running; there's gotta be something I'm missing.

TIA

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
We just yesterday went to a pool playgroup. It was HELL. Between watching over DD who does not swim well, and taking care of DS2 who was sweating and getting prickly heat ... ugh. We just stay in a lot. Its just too hot outside....but thats pretty typical where I am... our best outside time is in the winter.

·
Registered
975 Posts
spray them a little with water bottles! do they sell those teeny little fans that operate with a battery at dollar stores near you? if you spray them a little and keep the teeny fans on them, they might be more comfortable...

it's still kinda cold here (london) and I only have one lil baby, but my first was born in late may and it was much hotter where I lived before, and that was when I was stupid and didnt ec or cd, and I felt so sorry for his little body in those awful plasticky sposies... so I sprayed him with water and kept a fan on him, he loved it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
If the AC helps you stay sane use it! I cant go out sometimes on really hot days because I get horrible headaches unless I drown myself with water so Im inside a lot too. My baby (like me) is hot even in winter with heat inside. I keep him with little clothes on. Do they have bathtubs that they can lay down in? You could do it inside, and wont have to worry about the sun too!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
This is our inside time of the year, too. We tend to go outside much more when it's not June, July, and August.

One thing I do is go to the pool as soon as my dh gets home, so about 5:30. It's cooler then (and you'd have another pair of hands), and it gives some much needed outside time before bed. We also try to get out and go to walk before 10am.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
We are loving swimming right now! I understand that it might be really hard with young twins, but you might consider getting a solarveil sling and going in that way. One in the sling and carry the other. At the pool we go to, there are tons of other AP moms, if you have a similar option, I imagine you could get a little help if you needed it.

It is hot here in Texas (and humid) but I make sure we spend some time outside every day. If not the pool, we sit outside in the shade under a blanket (and you could get a plastic baby pool and let them hang out in it one at a time with you while the other one hangs out on the blanket looking at the trees --my DDs favorite pastime at that age). Often it is still nice here in the mornings and evenings- I try to watch the weather and take walks when I can (it is still a sweaty mess and sometimes we have to bail on it, but I don't want to stop babywearing) I have also noticed that DD gets a little stir crazy spending a whole day in our house... and I definitely do.

We use AC every day now, we just leave it on 80, but since it will be 90 or above until October, that is just the way it has to be. I HAVE noticed that DDs tolerance for heat is not great- she just seems to wilt. We have really had to change the way we do things-- no walks outdoors in the middle of the day, hats, sunscreen, etc.

Not a bad idea to pop into the shower for a rinse with each baby if you feel they are flustered from being too warm.

Once August hits (where we can have 20 days in a row over 100F), I imagine I will break down and spend some time cruising the mall once a week or so. Very air conditioned, lots to look at. I don't like malls, but DD is a people watcher, so she may well be into it.

Good luck staying cool!

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Hot weather? HA! It's only 109F here today! Well - 7mo DD has been sleeping up to now (it's 11:19am BTW). Our bedroom is air conditioned - the rest of the house is not!

When she wakes up, we'll go swimming. We're lucky in that WE have a pool. We also got a baby float thingy we put her in and we hold onto it in the shallow end so we get some exercise. Basically when it's this hot - we're either in the house, the pool, or in the car. Too )(*)(*&)( hot to be anywhere else.

With 2 small babes - do you have a friend w/out kids or with much older kids who can go swimming with you? That way, you can each have one? Can you set up a paddling pool in your backyard and hold onto both babes as you guys cool off?

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
:
: This is the weather here and has been all month. Jealous jealous jealous of those with sunshine! And heat! Not wearing rubber boots!
:
:
:

·
Registered
427 Posts
My kids are older but these suggestions might help you too. We don't have that much really hot weather here and our AC usually works. But now it's broken and this past weekend it was terribly hot so here is what I did: I left the windows open during the night and closed them when it got too hot outside to keep the cool air in the house cool longer. And when it got too hot anyway, then I opened the windows so we got a breeze but pulled all the shades/curtains so no sun got in. It was dark but much better than too hot! It's the direct sun that can be the worst in hot weather without AC. And I played with my little one with a spray bottle! Hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.