Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you determine when to keep DC home from school, play group etc. for their own health as well as the health of others?

DD (2 yo) has had a cold for about a week. Although the worst is definitely over she still has a green snotty nose.

I'm inclined to keep her home, if only a courtesy to others.

What would you do? and how do you decide?

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
If they are running a fever, are lethargic/out of sorts or if they're throwing up due to illness(I have a child who throws up for non-illness related reasons and that would not keep her home).

A cold would not keep them home.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
A cold would not keep them home.
hmmm ... with an older child I wouldn't have them miss school because of a cold but if it's just a play group and they could get other little ones sick wouldn't I be responsible for that? At 2 they don't really know how to be sanitary and prevent spreading or picking up germs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I keep my kids home from day care for:

vomiting
fever over 100
just really seeming "sick" (lethargic, draggy, not themselves)

I don't keep them home from day care for colds, runny noses, etc., because this time of year they'd never be there and I'd never get any work done.

I'm a little stricter about play dates, play groups, things like that, because unlike day care, which allows me to work and pay our bills, play dates are a fun and optional activity. So if my child had a really bad cold and was just spewing mucus all over the place, yes, I'd probably skip a play activity. But ordinary colds or the sniffles, we'd still go. Seriously, this time of year at least one of the two has a runny nose pretty much all the time, so if I kept them home for that we'd never leave the house.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ginadc and gooey, you're making me feel better about the decision I think I've already made.
I thought I might be overreacting but I'd be really annoyed if DD got sick because someone else didn't stay home when they were sick.
you're exactly right...play groups are not a NEED.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
ginadc and gooey, you're making me feel better about the decision I think I've already made.
I thought I might be overreacting but I'd be really annoyed if DD got sick because someone else didn't stay home when they were sick.
you're exactly right...play groups are not a NEED.
We just had a big blow up in our playgroup about others bringing sick kids. It was determined anything than a clear runny nose (like allergy related) and you are not welcome and will be sent home. (someone brought their kid with head lice, RSV, then some kind of diarrhea that lasted a month) One of the girls in our playgroup has asthma and if he gets a cold it equals an ER trip or hospitalization. So we all agreed, our kids will stay home if they are sick. Most kids do fine (like mine) if they catch a common cold or bug, but not everyones kid does. It wont hurt my kids to miss a playgroup if they have a cold. I am kind of mad, a kid with green snots was playing at the McDonalds play structure 2 weeks ago (I did not notice a sick kid there until we were leaving) and my kids caught it. Now my kids are sick with green snots for 2 weeks. So I have to keep them home to be respectful to others. There is a playgroup this Friday and I really hope they are better by then.

I understand you HAVE to go to the doctor, HAVE to buy food, etc. so I can't see keeping kids home for that if it isn't possible. But non-essential things like playgroups I really find it rude to bring contagious kids.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
Quote:
with an older child I wouldn't have them miss school because of a cold but if it's just a play group and they could get other little ones sick wouldn't I be responsible for that?
the thing is there's no way to proove that it was your child who got someone else sick. If they get sick after being around someone else who is sick it doesn't mean it came from that other person. It could have been someone DH was in contact with at work(even if DH didn't get sick), the grocery store, walking by a stranger, etc.

FWIW we never went to play groups, we visited friends who had kids whether they(my kids or thiers) had colds or not. My kids went to playschool which was not something they HAD to go to either.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If the snot isn't clear then we stay home.

DS recently had an ear infection, and later that week he was feeling fine, but I wasn't 100% sure if he was contagious or not. I got to thinking about it and ended up skipping the playgroup because I wouldn't want someone else bringing their sick kids to the group and getting mine sick.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Generally we stay home within 48 hours of puking, 24 hours of a fever, and if I think they're still contagious. Right now we're playing it even more safe with co-op and playgroups because one of the babies in our group is having health issues and has surgery coming up that will be canceled if she's got a bug. So if I think the kids have been exposed to anything, I give that mama a heads up and stay home from activities she'd be participating in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.