Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about sensory problems but am trying to figure out if that's what's going on with K. My family says that she just doesn't like certain things because that's her preference, or she's spoiled, but I don't know.
There are a few things that my older daughter didn't like that K doesn't either, but older dd never had any other issues. One of the things they had in common was that neither of them liked to have messy hands, would hold them up and cry until it was wiped up. K is still like that some, but is getting better the more stuff I have her do...like painting and playing with different textures. The other thing is that neither of them liked the feel of grass.
Last summer when K would fall in the grass she'd yank her hands up in the air and just sit there and cry until someone helped her up. By the end of the summer she was doing much better, she'd touch the grass as briefly as she could to get up.
When K was a baby she didn't like her swing at all but loved to be rocked in my arm. She wouldn't even sit on the porch swing the first of last summer let alone her baby swing but by the end of the summer she would sit in both for brief amounts of time.
The things that bother me now are things like she absolutely freaks out when you roll a ball, or throw it. She runs after it crying and grabs it and either gives it back to you or sits it on the couch where it can't move. She will sit a few feet in front of you and roll it back and forth but it can't roll away. She likes to play with toys that move if they are NOT moving. She has that fisher price train with the circus animals and she likes to play with it, but if you switch it so that it moves she crys and gets all upset. She doesn't mind toys that play music or talk, if they don't move at the same time.
She also doesn't like it if you throw/toss a toy. Like when I want to sit on the couch and there is a little people figure there and I toss it into the kitchen where the house is, she will most of the time cry and run after it.
She dosn't like people yelling. At the park last week she was doing fine going down the slide but as soon as some bigger kids came over and were really screaming in play, she got upset and went and stood several feet away from the equipment and wouldn't go back. But at the 4th of july parade last year she was fine when the fire trucks went by with their sirens on.
If her sister was at the other end of the house and I'd yell for her she's start crying hysterically, she still doesn't like it when you yell, but doesn't freak out totally.
Bright light does bother her, but she has blepharitis, and that could be the cause of that.
If one of our cats lays on her toys she flips out, and last night her sister had her foot on one of her things using it for a foot rest and when K noticed she started yelling and waving her hand at her sisters foot until she moved it, then she was fine. Was it really bothering her or is she just so used to getting her way? Family tend to think she's just spoiled when something like that happens.
I know a lot of you have lots of experience with sensory issues. I just don't know. Sometimes when she's freaking out over something and we're at a family event, someone says something about how she wants her way and I should discipline her when she freaks out, like when cousins start up their remote control cars...I really don't think that's it at all.
Just wanted some outside opinions.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I'm sort of stumped. I think it's worth getting an OT evaluation by someone good with sensory issues. I'm trying to think what type of issue the moving things would be though. Vision I assume but I can't think of what would be going on specifically.
I wonder about having a developmental optometrist (who does vision therapy) look at her vision processing. Dr. Mary Van Hoy in Carmel is very good.

I'd assume something is up. How old is she?
How is she doing with communication? Does she play like other kids?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She turned 2 on 2/19. She is not as active as most kids because of her low muscle tone...mostly she likes to play with her Fisher Price dollhouse/Farmhouse little people. She likes to play with little figures like that, princesses, pooh bear characters, little stuff that's not noisy. She makes them do all sorts of stuff. She plays with blocks some, but not much. She has a shopping cart that she pushes around some. But she's not super crazy about it. She likes to play with dolls too, pretend feeding them and such.
Communication is a problem. She doesn't have a whole lot of words. She signs a few things. We start ST on Tuesday.
I never thought about vision...she's seen a ped opthamologist because of her blepharitis and chalazions...he said her vision was fine. But your talking about vision processing so that's different.

It stumps me too...I don't know if she's just strong willed and likes things a certain way or what. My mom says she acts OCD.
I know that sometimes when other kids are playing with a ball and she's freaking out it makes me really sad. I don't know what to think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.