Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to use prefolds and I am looking for diaper covers. DS is in daycare during the day so we won't be able to CD all the time but I would still like to do it. We used CD for my older son but only until I went back to work so I only have covers for up to 14 lbs and DS2 is already 18 lbs. They were covers I picked up at Babies R Us and they don't carry them anymore so I am lost as to what to use.

I know that doing CD is cheaper in the long run but how do you afford them to start out with? Some of them are over $20 (I don't even spend that on my clothes!) What is the best cover that is affordable? I am so overwhelmed with reading posts and looking at web pages that I don't know where to go.
:

Looking for frugal suggestions (I don't sew) from those of you who have been there.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
56 Posts
the cheapest way to go with prefolds are proraps I think. I got mine on ebay from a seller's store who sells 5 for $35 + $5 shipping, so it worked out to $8 each total. I think you can get them cheaper as seconds, but you ahve to call some 800 number and I didnt want to deal with it so i just got them on ebay.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I agree w/ the pp about the prefolds/proraps.

However, you're right - you have to be careful w/ cloth diapering if you really want to do it to save money. I found that prefolds didn't work as my dd got older (I didn't like the bulk, I didn't like that the wetness stayed against her skin, I didn't like the absorbancy) so we switched to pockets. Much better! But much more expensive!

At 17.00 a pop, it wasn't a small investment (340.00 + tax & shipping for 20 diapers and inserts) considering I was only spending 20.00-30.00 a month on disposables. I am not sure how much it really saved me with this child, factoring in water and detergent expenses, but two things make me feel okay about the initial large expenditure. Number one, I can use these diapers with another child, and that really WILL save me money. And number two, they have a decent resale value if they're in good shape when you're done with them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you are ok with used, check out the trading post here or on Diaper Swappers. 90% of my stash is used, there is no way I'd be able to afford starting out with new.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Just wanted to comment on the wetness staying on your babies skin. I don't like that either, but I like to use natural fibers, so I change a lot. If I were to go for a longer period of time (night-time) I'd stick a rectangle piece of microfleece in there. It wicks moisture away from the skin. HTH.
I definately say to try the FSOT boards. Diaperswappers is another great board to look at the FSOT. I bought some used but in excellent condition (no stains, holes, or pilling) bummis super whisper wraps for $5.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpaigewhite View Post
ebay. Try different things on ebay and figure out what you like and work from there.

Paige, mom to C
13, K
: 11, Avery
2 1/2, &
again!
:
:

You are no longer allowed to sell used diapers on Ebay. Bummer!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just order 5 proraps for $35.00 on ebay like kimsansf recommended. They look just like the ones I used for DS1 that I bought from babies r us.

Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping I can do this and save some money too...daycare is super expensive.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Proraps are pretty good, unfortunately for me, they never fit my dd's properly so I quit using them. I use Bummis covers now.

As everyone has suggested, keep your eye on ebay - i know pockets/aio's/etc. are expensive, but if you pick up a few at a time, the cost isn't as shocking. The trading post here is a great place as well.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
We started out with second-hand proraps and bummis and found that the bummi super whisper wrap fit our baby much better... they fit well through the whole weight range whereas the proraps only fit well right in the middle of the weight range.

If you are even marginally handy, you can make a recycled sweater wool diaper cover for cheaper than new PUL wraps. If you get a big enough sweater, you can get two soakers out of the body and a pair of longies out of the sleeves!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=451171

·
Registered
976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MCKH View Post
You are no longer allowed to sell used diapers on Ebay. Bummer!
No, but I've got quite the deal from Diaperswappers... And if everything is in good condition when we're done, I'll post them there or donate them to miracle diapers or something.

Anna

·
Banned
943 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Da WIC Lady View Post
No, but I've got quite the deal from Diaperswappers... And if everything is in good condition when we're done, I'll post them there or donate them to miracle diapers or something.

Anna
You're right, I just bought 4 xs FBs for 35.00 from diaperswappers! I have not had good luck selling there, but I think maybe I ask too much

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.