Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my little one (ds 9 weeks) is having trouble napping without me next to him...while i would love to sleep with him all day I have to find a way to get him sleeping on his own so that I can do some other things...he still takes 2-3 naps a day...he used to have no problem napping alone. I would nurse him down and roll away and he would sleep for anywhere from 2-3 hours. any suggestions?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Could you sling him while you do stuff so he could sleep and you could get things done? I'm no help, my daughter prefers me to sleep with her STILL and she's 21 months old!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My DD wouldn't nap on her own until she was 7 months. I either wore her in a sling and did housework or took long walks (great for losing baby weight), or I would lie down with her and listen to books on tape. You can get books on tape from the library, or you can download them from audible.com

The way I looked at was that she had this need to be near me and be in arms, and if I fulfilled that need it would be easier and healthier in the long run.

Good luck! It will pass, and then you'll miss it when he used to let you hold him while he naps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kikirox
my little one (ds 9 weeks) is having trouble napping without me next to him...while i would love to sleep with him all day I have to find a way to get him sleeping on his own so that I can do some other things...he still takes 2-3 naps a day...he used to have no problem napping alone. I would nurse him down and roll away and he would sleep for anywhere from 2-3 hours. any suggestions?
Have you tried laying a t shirt or something you have worn next to your little one? I'm not sure if that would work, but it did for me. You can also sling.
I loved the books on audio suggestion!! ::filing that away :::

·
Registered
616 Posts
I reas in a dr. sears book for two weeks to lay beside babe for nap time read a book whater you want but not to leave until they wake. I did this for two weeks and after that I was able to get up and get things done. I also used the maya wrap a lot as my dd was more of a cat naper.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My DD wouldn't sleep without me touching her until she was nearly a year old. I got a lot of naps that year
My advice is to let the other stuff go, this time is going to fly by like crazy. I know it's frustrating, believe me there were days..., but poof, they're gone. *sigh*

If you simply must get some stuff done... I like the shirt idea. Something that smells like you, soft, warm. I know some people encourage a lovey? Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am going to keep on slinging and sleeping beside him...i am also going to try the dr sears advice about staying with him for two weeks...love the audio book advice as well !

·
Registered
341 Posts
Both my babes napped in arms. While at first it was frustrating to not have that time to get things done, I gradually got used to having a little rest myself.

It was easier with my first, since there wasn't another child and we could nap at whim lying down, but with the second I had to use the sling or just do everything one-handed with her up on my chest.

Congrats on your new litle one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts