Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that if my little one wakes up around 3 times a night, I have no trouble falling back asleep. When she wakes up 3 times in 4 hours, I really do have a hard time falling back asleep. We do nurse, and co-sleep, and I've only fallen asleep nursing 2 or 3 times. For several nights in a row I've had trouble falling back asleep and it is so exhausting! The good thing is that my daughter has no trouble falling back asleep! (Actually this morning I couldn't get to sleep, so I decided I would just snuggle her instead, and she whined in protest. I guess she's the only one with waking-up privileges right now!) Anyway any tips for falling back asleep? This is what I do, that works, but it's getting old- I count backwards from 100, count sheep, count various animals, count wind-up toys, count fruit, all variations on that theme. My imagination is getting tired!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
If ds wakes up during certain times in my sleep cycle, I have a terrible time. I use a lot of meditation techniques like you are talking about, counting my breath or whatever, but lately I am also taking the opportunity to do some more serious meditation. I try to relax and just acknowledge whatever is going on in my head, or my body, or my life, and just breathe it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been having trouble lately with getting back to sleep. My LO is 15 mos., and he wakes two to four times a night. Sometimes it seems like he will nurse ALL night with no breaks. I have tried just relaxing and meditating. What usually happens, though, is that I think about everything that needs to be done, the grocery list, etc. lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
I count on the natural release of sleep-inducing hormones that comes for both mama and baby at the end of a breastfeeding session. I try to relax and allow myself to drift toward sleep while she is still nursing so that those hormones do their magic at the end of her nursing session and finally get me to sleep! I do think different mamas have different levels and responses to those hormones, because it's normal for some mamas to have some difficulty falling asleep.<br><br>
Is there anything preventing you from falling asleep naturally while she is nursing? Would more pillows help? I'm more comfortable on one side if I have a pillow wedged into the small of my back. I can nurse laying down without it but I can't relax enough to fall asleep.<br><br>
Also, is it difficult for you to whip out the boob for a midnight snack? If you're struggling to unlatch a stubborn nursing bra, or have a complicated nightgown that you have to roll up, all those things could be causing you to wake up more than necessary.<br><br>
And lastly, dehydration can cause insomnia. And you're making milk, so you need lots and lots of water. Be sure to drink plenty before bed and try keeping a water bottle close at hand and taking a big drink every time you wake up to nurse. I have consistently found that I get back to sleep much easier - and sleep better - when I'm drinking lots of water.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have always had a hard time sleeping, and now having a sweet little guy waking me up every 1-2 hours for the past 13 months has really made me perfect my getting-back-to-sleep skills.<br><br>
One thing I do is take deep breaths and breathe relaxation to different parts of my body, starting down at my toes. Deep breath in--send relaxation to toes--deep breath out, etc.<br><br>
I also usually have a list of things that I come up with when I first go to bed to think about during the night. I try to plan DIY halloween costumes; design my own fantasy library; landscape a rose garden.<br><br>
Also, I started reading mystery books after DS was born. I often try to solve the crime in my head while I'm falling asleep!<br><br>
I also have a lot on "mantras" that I repeat to keep myself calm and relaxed. My main problem is that get stressed out and feel this urgent need to fall asleep, so I get anxious and then can't sleep. Some of my mantras are:<br><br>
-Even if I'm not sleeping, I'm resting.<br>
-We are a family, and we take care of eachother (meaning that if I am in a truly bad state the next day, it will still be ok, my husband and friends will help me)<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! All very helpful!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
This is a great post, because I feel like I am going through the same thing. I have been getting SO FRUSTRATED with my babe lately, because of the frequent nursings (she is 6 months now and all sort of things are going on with her....new teeth, frequent waking, etc.). A couple of times, I have actually had to get out of bed and walk away from the "situation" for a minute to collect myself. I felt like I was loosing it with my early riser who just got a set of teeth and woke up every hour or so for who knows what reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts