Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I feel it's a symbol of either a.) racism or b.) a ******* who just likes his flag. I know quite a few people that proudly fly their confederate flag, mostly in their truck windows, but they have no hint of racism that I can see.

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
A symbol of racism. I am a southerner and that flag stands for nothing we should be proud of. Most people around here who fly the flag are racist. Many hate groups use this flag also.
I think we have discussed this before on here.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
I live in the south & see these all over...to me it just always symbolized "I'm a ******* & proud of it!!" Always kinda wondered why they were popular here...they're beyond tacky...

·
Registered
164 Posts
IMHO I see it as a symbol of hate. I understand some may see it differently, but people have used it as a symbol of hate. If it ever meant heritage of any sort, t was ruined by many of those same people that claim it is now heritage. There are people who claim the swastika doesn't mean hate, but it too was corrupted to display hate. I have no positive associations with either of them.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Ditto the above. When I was in Mississippi, the only examples I saw were clearly racist. Granted, I was volunteering in a very divided area that resembled a war zone. In New England, the few times I've see it, it's usually been displayed on someone's truck, and the folks I've met with those trucks were incredibly racist. Maybe it didn't have that as its original meaning, but that's been my exposure to it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I grew up in the south, and I see it as a piece of history. When I see it displayed anywhere other than a museum, I generally assume it's being used as a symbol of racism or misplaced "southern pride". The south does have many things to be proud of (good music, good food, some amazing authors, etc.), but that flag doesn't symbolize any of them.

Along these lines, what do people think of NuSouth? This was a company that a few years ago sold apparel with the confederate flag redone in the colors of African-American liberation. Their webpage doesn't appear to be working, but does have a picture of the flag in these colors.

ETA: Whenever talk about "southern pride" and "southern heritage" comes up, the essay "Identity: Skin, Blood, Heart" by Minnie Bruce Pratt comes to my mind. She's an amazing southern author. Here is an excerpt from that essay, where she talks about a dream she had. The "box" represents her southern heritage:

Quote:
The box was still there, with what I had feared: my responsibility for what the men of my culture have done, in my name, my responsibility to try to change what my father had done, without even knowing what his secrets were. I was angry. Why should I be left with this? I didn't want it; I'd done my best for years to reject it; I wanted no part of what was in it-the benefits of my privilege, the restrictions, the injustice, the pain, the broken urgings of the heart, the unknown horrors.

And yet it is mine: I am my father's daughter in the present, living in a world he and my folks helped to create….I honor the grief of his life by striving to change much of what he believed in; and my own grief by acknowledging that I saw him caught in the grip of racial, sexual, cultural fears that I am still trying to understand in myself.
You can find her essay in her book Rebellion and also in the book Yours In Struggle: Three Feminist Perspectives On Anti-Semitism and Racism.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Sore losers.

But my family fought for the Union.

I also find it racist.

In Oklahoma the License plates have a Native Shield on them...racist types were putting confederate flags over the shield!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhf
it is a symbol of the south. nothing more, nothing less.
You are wrong about that. I have lived in the south most of my life and I can say w/o doubt it means much more. Also as as somene who lives in the south it does NOT symbolize me, my family or anyone in my life. I am pretty irked someone actually thinks such a hate filled racist symbol represents the south as a whole.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheacoby
A symbol of racism. I am a southerner and that flag stands for nothing we should be proud of. Most people around here who fly the flag are racist. Many hate groups use this flag also.
I think we have discussed this before on here.

Yes to what she said.......

Someone down the street has one hanging on their freaking house!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheacoby
I absolutely agree. I see a lot of that around here.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
A symbol is an object to which we attach meaning. I've always known the confederate flag to symbolize racism. People have attached that meaning onto it. Therefore, to me, it represents ignorance, hate, and bigotry. I even see them up here once in a while.
Believe me, that never means the owners are 'proud of being southern'. (I live in Canada.
)

1 - 20 of 275 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.