Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help for depression. I have never got any help for issues in my childhood, and I feel I could really benefit from some talk therapy. I have been on Zoloft after my DD was born for PPD, and went off because I wanted to see if I could deal without drugs. Turns out I am still dealing with depression. My moods are affecting my relationship with the most loving, supportive man in the world. I feel overcome with anger for stupid little things, just like my dad. I do not want to be like that. I need help.<br><br>
I do not have medical insurance, and we live off one income. I don't know how I can find low cost therapy. I know with our budget I can't be too picky, but I still want to be able to trust the person enough to open up about things that I have a hard time talking about. I have a hard time trusting strangers and I would not feel comfortable talking to just anyone. Can anyone give me tips on how to go about finding somone I can trust taking to who won't cost an arm and a leg?

·
Registered
386 Posts
absolutely!<br><br>
where there's a will, there's a way.<br><br>
first, get the phonebook and look up counseling services, therapy or therepists, and any local program you can think of that will lead to a possibility.<br><br>
it takes at least 20 phonecalls to find the right therapist, even with insurance.<br><br>
when you are making these calls, ask the following questions:<br><br>
1.do you know of any sliding scale counseling programs?<br><br>
2. do you know about any depression support groups?<br><br>
3. when you start getting a list of names, leave messages and when they call you back, ask "how would you decribe your style?"<br><br>
4. do you work mostly with individuals, or also with couples.(this could come in handy)<br><br>
5. ask each therapist if they know about a depression support group.<br><br>
6. pick the 2 therapists you liked best on the phone and make an appt. with each. that is not unusual. let them know. this will make it clear to you.<br><br>
why support groups work: you talk, you listen, and then suddenly you see yourself crystal clear in someone else's story. you also feel good about the support you offer to others. if you can only afford therapy twice a month for example, a support group can be great for the off weeks.<br><br>
most importantly, i would like to encourage you to do everything you can to support your breastfeeding relationship with your baby. it's not just good for baby, it's really healthy for you. exclusive and extended breastfeeding do a lot to keep hormones even and promote mental health.<br><br>
what things support breastfeeding?<br><br>
1.drink a lot of water<br><br>
2.eat whole foods, not white, refined junk.<br><br>
3.sleep with your baby.<br><br>
4.take magnesium with calcium at bedtime with a glass of water to rest more at night. take more magnesium if you get up in the night.<br><br>
5.always offer food to baby only on a full tummy of breastmilk. the opposite is weaning. NURSE FIRST, FOOD SECOND.<br><br>
6. see nursing as a way to slow down and nurture yourself while nurturing and nourishing baby.<br><br>
7. find an LLL meeting in your area and GO! you will find personal support as well as breastfeeding support.<br><br>
rrr

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I posted a question about finding a good therapist a while back and got some useful responses. Here's my thread:<br><br><a href="http://mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34680&highlight=find+therapist" target="_blank">http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...find+therapist</a><br><br>
Esp. read the info NaturalMama wrote on that thread, it was totally helpful to me and that's how I arranged my system for calling/interviewing therapists. The BEST thing I did was to ask other people like me for recommendations. I posted a message to people from my birth center, women in my LLL group, and on the Mothering board "Finding Your Tribe" section for my state. I also called people I found in the phone book, etc., but did not like any of them much and ended up going with (and loving!) a therapist recommended by some of my mom acquaintances. Basically, don't be afraid to put the word out that you are looking for someone good, and then call with questions for those therapists and ask if they will work on a sliding scale, or perhaps in exchange for some service you could provide.<br><br>
Best of luck! Hope you find someone wonderful.<br><br>
Carol

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
also if you belong to a church or other faith based orgization; ask fr referals there; or if they know anyone "in the faith". It helps if you know you have common ground.<br><br>
Also never be afraid to ask about slideing-scale payments. Espically with anyone faith based.<br><br>
Good luck. It just takes time. I have a wonderful therpist who, while I will bw moving out of state, I will continue to see. He is in my parent's hometown and I will see him whenever I am home. BUT it took a long time to find him. Found him via a friend's recomdation.<br><br>
Aimee<br><br>
edited to add: also be flexible about the "lable" mine is a "liciened professional counslor" not a PhD or MD. Social Workers are also great and ually more avaiable and more afordable.<br><br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts