Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about 22 weeks along with my first child. I know that I will be taking 18 weeks of maternity leave, and will have a somewhat flexible schedule until my wee one is 12 months old. I have already found a dcp that I am hoping to go with once she is a year, but between 4 - 12 months, DH and I are going to need to find a dcp all day on Monday's and Friday's.

I have gotten the general impression that an in-home provider would be a little more flexible with both our part-time status as well as dealing with a breastfeeding, co-sleeping, cloth diapering family.

My issue of the moment is trying to actually FIND an in-home provider. What resources are available? I've looked at craigslist and, frankly, it freaked me out a bit. There's a little too much anonymity with something like that. I've asked friends with wee ones, but all of them are either SAHM or WOHM that have just recently returned and their children are older. (My support community is wonderful, but a bit small and full of kids mostly 4+.)

So how did you find your in-home daycare provider? What kinds of questions did you ask, if you were not referred to them by a known acquaintance? Is it reasonable to ask about a one or two week trial with me staying for a few hours, and possibly severing the business relationship if we don't feel comfortable? And for anyone in the Seattle area, what is a reasonable cost for both full and part-time care of an infant for an in-home provider?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

· Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the childcare resource. I am definitely going to ask around (and around and around), but this gives me a backup to use. What a great thing! The price range sounds about rate for in-home care as well. It's a bit overwhelming to think that daycare can cost as much as a mortgage payment. Oof.

Thanks again... the site is bookmarked!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.