Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the c=section rate (and likely the intevention rate) of hosptials, and i bet boctors, has to be maintained SOMEWHERE....

any idea how to look it up.

Without calling and batteling all the PR to get the numbers?

Is it public record somewhere? or maintained by some gov adgency?

AImee

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Your best bet is to do some research on Google to look for C-section rates in varying states & hospitals, study results, etc. Just look up C-section or C-section rate, and it should be rather easy to find a ballpark estimate.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...sections_x.htm

Here's an article from last year, the most recent I can find so far, on C-section rate.

Is there a specific doctor or hospital you are concerned about? Try googling that.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ICAN -- great idea, not a mamber -- how can I contact them? is ther a main website wher ei can find a local link?

SOrry for being so stupid, never thought too much about it after i jsut missed one last time -- i should have -- but had a 4th dregree tear to heal from and so on

Thanks

A

·
Registered
948 Posts
I'd call your insurance company if you have it, they sent me a chart with the rates of c-section, maternal death, infant death and various other interventions for all the hospitals in my area. I have Dean. I would also ask your doctor or midwife what their c-section rate is, since they are probably the ones to make the call.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i e-mailed the two hosptilas i am looking at.

I got the stats for one on them

Quote:
Our current C/S rate is 27 %; epidural rate is between 45-50%. The % of babies transferred to NICU is 10-12 and the most frequent reason for admission there is Respiratory problems. The average length of stay in NICU is 16 days. As far as the number of moms with a diagnosis of failure to progress, I don't have that figure and would have to do some more research in medical records for that. I hope this helps you and we're glad you're considering IMMC. Did you visit our website? Let me know if there's anything else I can help with or if you have further questions, we hope to see you here!
and I am still waiting on the other one.

I have e-mailed my insurence to see about getting stats for ind providers; but that is a 2 to 3 wroking day responce time thing.

Thanks for all the suggesting, I am still working on it -- the rate BY PROVIDER is likely more imporatnt than by hosptial, site the hosptial rate is not 60 or something

Aimee

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
27% is very high, only 2% below the national average.
That's a really high epidural rate too :/ I hope you can find one that has better statistics. They will very by care provider, but it is likely that you won't get to pick your provider--when you go into labor, you usually get whoever is on call, who might be the doctor with the highest or lowest rates of C-section.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonfirefaery View Post
27% is very high, only 2% below the national average.
That's a really high epidural rate too :/ I hope you can find one that has better statistics. .
I was thinking those rates weren't too bad (relatively speaking of course - it's all too high in this country!!!) .... considering how many hospitals in my area have c-s rates of 40-50% and epidural rates of 90%.

You could try calling your state's Department of Health and ask if they have a Center for Health Statistics. They should keep all that data on all hospitals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts