Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently this is a controversial topic, who knew!?

I have read that you should freeze them before washing because otherwise they will be wet and freeze together in a big clump.

I have also read that you should wash them first because if you wash them after you freeze them, right before you use them, you will wash all the nutrients away because the blueberries will be softer.

So I decided to wash some and lay them out on cookie sheets to dry before I freeze them so that they will dry, but it is taking forever and I'm afraid that fruit flies are going to appear before the blueberries are dry.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I wash them first, try to gently shake off excess water, put them on a cookie sheet and put the cookie sheet in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to cool them off and then put the cookie sheet in the freezer. When they're frozen I put them in a freezer bag and put them back into the freezer. I've never heard any controversy about washing them. But I do know freezing them like this helps to keep them from clumping too much. Cooling them off in the fridge first makes for smaller ice crystals or is it larger? Either way Alton Brown says it makes for a better thawed product and as far as I can tell it does.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I wash, leave to dry in collander for only a few minutes, then freeze. I freeze in ziploc bags
: so one bang of the frozen bag on the counter and the berries all separate. No biggie. I don't know what to tell you if you are freezing in glass, the banging is obviously not desirable. Can you cover with a cheesecloth or something while they dry?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Yeah, I do it just like the PP - wash, put on cookie sheet to freeze then transfer to another container. They don't clump together and this way they are clean already and you can get out just a few and aren't obligated to thaw the whole bunch. I haven't tried the cooling first part, but I'm going to do that - thanks!

I don't know about losing nutrition (probably true) but you do lose flavor if you wash them after freezing. You can see all that lovely blue juice going right down the drain!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh thank you so much for all the quick responses! So they don't have to be bone dry, huh?

They are still kinda moist, but that's all. I'm not really sure what I'm going to put them in to freeze. I have lots of glass jars, and lots of ziplock bags. What is a freezer bag exactly? I am new at this, can you tell?

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
freezer bags have an extra layer (that you can't see) to help prevent against freezer burn. They are labled as Freezer bags in the store.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I'm in Oregon, my family is crazed for berries of all kinds, which we freeze in seriously huge quantities for the winter. In other words, you can consider me an expert on this.

All other berries, yes, you are best off freezing on cookie sheets and then transferring to freezer bags.

Not blueberries. Just put them right in the freezer bags, fresh from the market, and pop those bags in the freezer. Unlike other berries, blues will not clump up if frozen like this. Definitely pick them over first to get the stems and bad ones out, but do not wash!

I don't wash berries before freezing. Blackberries, marionberries, raspberries will just fall apart. It is a lot easier to put frozen berries in a collander and wash them off right before using than it is to wash them and wait to dry.

I've never heard of nutrients washing off of frozen berries. Doesn't sound plausible to me!

A freezer bag can be any gallon-size ziploc bag. No need to go for the extra fancy ones.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well shoot, I've already been washing, cookie sheeting and bagging. (Turns out we have ziplock freezer bags, will those work?)

I still have another huge bag to do though, so maybe I'll just toss those in a bag and wash later.

The only reason I'm hesitant to not wash is that i am afraid that I will forget later and the berries are not organic. I'm also concerned about the loss of flavor/nutrients theory.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Wash, air dry, freeze. Always works for all our berries.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I rinse blueberries in a colander, lay them on a clean towel to dry, then freeze on cookie sheets if I'm feeling energetic or just pack in a freezer bag if I'm not. I'd rather wash before using them (freezing) than after, because you do all that drudgery of picking out stems and dirt and dried up berries just once instead of every time you want to use some in a smoothie or buttermilk pancakes.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Never had a problem w/clumping when freezing blueberries this way:

We rinse, drain, pick over and just throw into freezer bags. Don't know if it helps, but we do suck out the excess air w/a straw when we seal the bags.

Don't every recall ever having clumps that resist falling apart w/a rap against the counter.

We freeze lots every year...thawed and slightly cooked are super yummy w/pancakes and waffles!

HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts