Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going out of my mind. My husband has been home for three weeks. It seems like since he is home, everything that dd and I have worked out is completely shot. I am constantly agravated and angry. Hence, I am miserable. One of the bigest issues right now is getting DD to wait. Everything is "right now". Granted, this has always been and issue. But it seems to be especially difficult while Dh is home.

I am looking for pointers here. I can't seem to explain what it means to wait, other than it means stoping. Can you please share with me what techniques you have tried.

TIA

·
Registered
334 Posts
Distraction ...

ds pulls me by my finger and expects me to follow him like a dog - even if I'm sitting on the toilet obviously engaged.

"No, not now mummy is ..." *Howl, scream, protest* from ds so explanation is lost on him.

"What's daddy doing?"

or>

"Where's your ...? Go find it for mamma!"

Alrighty, I admit it. It doesn't work 100% of the time but it works often enough to get the odd *sigh of relief* here and there.

...That's how I handle it anyway, and I think we will all just have to wait for our little ones to grow up and realise that even if we revolve around them, the world doesn't!!! It's an age and I think they will grow out of it eventually!

Hang in there!!!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
A few months ago I began singing a "waiting song" (totally made up, something like: waiting, waiting, i'm waiting for blueberries...) when DS wanted something IMMEDIATELY. usually that something was blueberries, or a book to start, or me to pick him up. I really only sang sporadically, but then after a bit I would ask him if we should sing the waiting song if he seemed frustrated. He would nod yes. I would sing while making him food, coming to get him in another part of the house, etc. In the last week, he's started singing the song himself! It is so cute. This morning, he asked for a banana, my DW and I said okay, but didn't give it to him immediately. He began to sway and sing: "weeding, nana, weeding, weeding" -- so perhaps this strategy might help you.

good luck!
megin

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I do a countdown. He screamed through it the first few times, and then he learned that once I got down to zero, he gets what he's been asking for.

I give him something to do while he waits. Just something silly, like "Your sandwich will be ready after you hippity-hop to the fireplace and back" or something thats helpful, like putting the forks & spoons from the dishwasher into the drawer.

I tell him "In one (two, three) song(s)" and put some music on.

When he says NOW, I say SOON, and he knows that soon is *almost* now :LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
We also have a patience song. I remember it from when I was little. I sing it emphatically and DS loves to dance around. I also give him reference points like, "first we'll empty the dishwasher, then we'll read the book. Can you be my helper?" That has worked well for him and he's learning the order of events from those conversations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.