Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dd is 2.5 months old and my only. i am new at staying home but all i do is tend to her. She sleeps on my bb and when i put her down she wakes and cries, ive tried it all

swing, sling, crib, bouncer,rocker, motion glider, strollers, crib play mat, boppy

she will not be ok with anything more than 2 min or so

im typing one handed now as she sleeps in my arms

getting out of the house and doing stuff help, but how the heck do people get anything done?

i have lists of chores i want to help with but,,,,,

thank god for dh's ocd
we have a clean house

i assume as she gets older it will get better? i feel like such a bad sahm
good mommy but bad "housewife"

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
1. Put her in a sling/front carrier/pouch and get your housework done while she hangs out.

2. Get used to doing things with one hand.

3. Lower your standards of cleanliness. You are not a 1950's sitcom mom.

4. Enjoy holding her and getting nothing done.
Soon enough she will be able to lie around on the floor on a blanket while you do stuff, or in a boucy chair, whatever. It just takes time.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts

Both of my boys are exactly as you describe your baby. I do everything one-handed, except for removing things from the oven, then I put the baby down (and he screams the whole time he's down). It gets easier eventually...DS1 is sleeping in his own room finally at age 6.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yeah, get a sling or one of those Baby Bjorn things. You WILL get through this, I can promise you that.
And yes, it will get easier as she gets older. She can be your "helper".

·
Registered
586 Posts
Be realistic with expectations. She is only 2.5 mos old and you are deep in the throes of baby care.

I don't think you are going to get good chunks of time til she's about a year old. Then it gets easier.

When mine was about 6 mos old, I started cleaning during her naps. Major decluttering... but super slow. After she hit a year, we could declutter faster.

She's now three and can still wreck the house, but now I can whip through and get it straightened up in 15 -20 min. Much better!

A.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
At 2.5 months, I wasn't even trying! DH cooked dinner, did some laundry, and minimal cleaning so that we weren't wallowing in filth. Everything else waited until DS was bigger and allowed me to do more. I have really had to change my idea of what "clean" is and get rid of those preconceived notions about the "perfect" SAHM. Now at age 3, he's more demanding than an infant AND creates messes, so my house is just hopeless.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
At 2.5 months, everyone in my proximity was thankful if I was just able to take a shower every couple of days. Housework? HA!!! Cooking? Yah, right!!! Thinking? Think again!!!

Give yourself a break, woman! Go with the flow. There's no one you have to measure up to or answer to. You do what is easiest for you. PERIOD!(I'm not even joking!)

It does get better. It really, really does.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When my youngest wouldn't stay asleep when I put her down, I would nurse her laying down, so I wasn't holding her. That way, when she fell asleep, I could very slowly ease out of bed and go get things done. Sometimes she'd only give me 20 minutes, but it was at least long enough to do a little.

Crystal

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
1. Get help from your dh and family/friends for chores, cooking, and whatnot.

2. If you "have" to do something, wear your babe. And fyi--my dd wouldn't tolerate a sling, but she LOVED the moby wrap.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
It gets easier! Hang in there. You sound like you're trying everything you can. Just keep trying and eventually the two of you will find what works for each other.

Please don't pressure yourself to cook and clean...just try to get by with the simple and basic stuff. Ask people for help.

I can't tell you exactly when but I swear it gets easier. It really does!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My son is 3 months, my first, and is very high needs. The moment I try to put him down, he looks at me, frowns, then starts crying until I pick him up again. I have a sling, but you can't bend over in one, and 90% of the stuff I need to do around the house I can't wearing him in a sling. We're on a tight budget and can't fool around buying and trying other types of carriers.

It's 8:45pm and this is the first time he's taken a nap since we got up this morning. I feel run completely ragged. The house is a complete mess, and I also have 3 dogs to look after during the day, which is nearly impossible. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions-- I just wanted to know that you're not alone.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Set some very basic goals (everyone gets fed, everyone has something reasonably clean to wear, etc.) and assure yourself that it only gets better as they get older!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Three months is a breakthrough age. In the first three no mom gets anything done (except what she's supposed to, which is taking care of babe). Don't worry, after that magic three month point, things really start to change.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
Three months is a breakthrough age. In the first three no mom gets anything done (except what she's supposed to, which is taking care of babe). Don't worry, after that magic three month point, things really start to change.
Thanks for the encouragement, I really hope that happens. We're living in a house with 7 people, and I feel like since I'm home, I should pick up after everyone and clean, then feel bad when everyone gets home and nothing has been done.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yes, three months was a miracle. I remember looking down at my babe on the floor, and almost falling over with shock - he's playing by himself!!!!

That said, at about the 3 month mark I started using a pouch and it saved my sanity.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ditto the others!

Give yourself a break. You just had a baby. Just because you are home with that baby does not mean you are the automatic housecleaner!

Definitely purchase a baby carrier of some sort. My son loved the baby bjorn from day one and it was the only he napped for those first few months. I got so much done once I discovered that. We then moved on to a sling after he got too long for the bjorn.

3 months is the magically turning point and you are almost there!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.