Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried his own toothbrush, I've tried a wet cloth, I've tried a grown up toothbrush. It works for a day then he clamps his mouth down.

He's got his molars & all these teeth.... . We do believe in eating chocolate in our home
I'm so worried he's going to have a mouthfull of cavities & I don't think hes going to deal well with a dentist for several years.

How do you do it? I'm up for any and all suggestions

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Subscribing....

I will be interested in these reponses.

I have problems with DD letting me brush her teeth as well. I have tried EVERYTHING! Singing, making funny sounds, letting her brush her teeth first, letting her brush my teeth....I could go on and on!

It works for a little bit then she just bites down. Hopefully someone will have something creative. I do like making her upset but I dont want her to get any cavities

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Dd2 is 2.75 yrs old & has been going to the dentists since she was 1. It's not easy getting her to let me brush her teeth but after our Dd1 having a mouthful of cavities, I wasn't about to let that happen to Dd2 also. Here are some of our tactics - she has about 5 different brushes one of which is an electric brush that she refers to as her tickle brush. We use Burt's Bees orange flavored baby tooth paste which is like kiddy crack, if I let her eat the whole tube she would. I also floss her each night before brushing with the animal flossers by Johnson & Johnson - don't get the Oral-B ones, they fall apart on the job.
Dd1 has really crowded teeth & used to eat raisins like crazy (no candy or juice) & had 6 cavities at age 3, discovered only by having x-rays done - thank goodness she allowed them! Hers were all between her molars & we couldn't see them.
So moral of our story - we don't allow raisins or anything gooey unless it's right before bedtime & we can floss & brush them out immediately.
Usually Dd2 uses a brush while I use a brush & that works well. Once in a while I have to hold her & do them & I hate doing that but not as much as I'd hate having to watch her get a cavity filled. HTH
BTW, If your dentist is cool with it, it's a good time to bring your 2 yr old with you to see what the dentist is like & to learn that it's normal since they should start going by age 3 (I'd start earlier if possible.)

·
Banned
2,463 Posts
No help here specifically because with our first we honestly didn't bother with it until she was 3ish.....

Now funny enough, the nearly 6 yr old has taught the toddler to do it-everytime she brushes!

Lazy mom's dream.
:

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
I sit DD down on the potty with her toothbrush with some toothpaste on it while I brush her hair. Then to clean up what she missed I go Can you go GRRRRRR *make the bared teeth face* she copies me, and I brush the flat bit, I ask if she can go AAAAAH And then she copies me and I brush her molars and chewing surfaces. Then I go stick out your tongue, and she does and I brush it.

No big deal. Make a Monkey See Monkey do game out of it. Should work

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
I sit DD down on the potty with her toothbrush with some toothpaste on it while I brush her hair. ... No big deal. Make a Monkey See Monkey do game out of it. Should work

Oh, I wish it was no big deal! DS is 29 months - I can't even fathom him allowing me to brush his teeth (let alone his hair). My mom and I both have baby teeth in our mouth so I know it is especially important to take care of those baby teeth too. I've tried the Monkey See Monkey Do, tried fancy brushes and paste - nothing works. He just wants to "do it himself" period. My solution until I find something better is to let him do it one night and then I do a thorough brushing the next day - which usually doesn't go well
but it's the best I can do.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
We've tried many things over the years and different things worked for each kid.

A mirror low enough for them to see themselves.

Vibrating toothbrushes.

Take them shopping and pick out their own "special" toothpaste and toothbrush.

Brushing our teeth in front of them talking about how much "fun" it is, but not asking them if they want to try.....they usually ask the 3rd nite.

Getting them to brush our teeth.

Having different toothbrushes and toothpaste on hand and asking which one we're using that nite.

Singing the "this is the way we brush our teeth, brush our teeth, brush our teeth..." song a mama here sang many years ago. (it worked!)

So, these have all worked at some point for us. I hope they work for you.
Whats really interesting about my kids is that they all love flossing. Its crazy! I've never had a problem with flossing, just the brushing. Strange.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
here are some things that we have done...

1) we actually rarely brush teeth in the bathroom, i'll get it and bring to her in living room, and either set her on my lap or lay her on the floor (so i can see)and say, "want to sing?" of course she says yes and then i tell her to sing what i sing "grandmaaaaaaaaaa" (mouth open, brush teeth) we change the word and name off all the people she loves, just as long as they end in ahhhhh (grandpa, dada, mama) and then change it to get the fronts "aunt julieeeeeeeee, gypsyyyyyyy(the dog). we do it this way almost every time.

2) sometimes she's just not into it and i'll tell her to say "ahhh" and then see how loud she can scream it while i sneak in and brush and sometimes we'll scream together. this only works as we have no sleeping babies in the house.

3)just recently, i'll tell her, "let mama do it first and then adrianna can do it" she just turned 3 in august though, so it could be a while for you.

4)while i brush her teeth, i remind her of everything she ate for the day and how we need to get it off her teeth so she'll have a beautiful smile. sometimes i tell her she's had to much sugar and we need to get it off her teeth or we won't be able to eat it anymore...which is kind of a bribe, but kind of true.

good luck!
sarah

·
Registered
608 Posts
Do you brush with your kids? I give DS his toothbrush with his toothpaste (I like Toms of Maine Kids) and I get my toothbrush out and brush my teeth. When I'm done, then I take the brush from him and finish getting the gunkies out (very fast).

·
Registered
987 Posts
a few things we do that haven't been mentioned:

My DD loves to take the cap off and put it on herself. She gets to take the cap off and help me put the toothpaste on, then she brushes herself, and then before she is allowed to put the cap on, she has to let me brush.

I tell her we need to look for all the ____ in her teeth. (insert food most recently eaten here) When this strategy works, she has a great time listing some of the things she remembers eating in the day while giggling as I "go get" the food remnants with her toothbrush. Her current toothbrush has Big Bird on it, and sometimes we say that Big Bird is hunting for the yogurt or bread (or other foods)...

I've heard a friend say that she holds her son on her lap upside-down (Mork from Ork-like) with his head hanging backward past her knees. (He thinks it is fun---if child was not cooperative, it sounds like a good way to lose teeth!) It is much harder to keep his mouth closed that way, and the novelty of being so silly with mommy allows her to get at least a few swipes in.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I know this doesn't help much now - but start when the first tooth cuts. We started brushing DS's teeth each night when he cut his first two teeth at 4 months and so its been part of his routine as long as he can remember so he doesn't fight it. In fact, if we're in the bathroom and he notices his toothbrush he WANTS to brush - we always praise him and sing a song about it: "I brush my teeth like the big kids do, like the big kids do, like the big kids do! I brush my teeth like the big kids do, because I'm a big kid, too!"

Now, our dentist did suggest flossing his teeth and I am not about to try that! As a friend put it, trying to floss a toddler's teeth would be like trying to floss a cat's teeth! Our dentist did reccomend at least making sure your kids SEE you flossing, so when they're older they'll want to try it.

Also, if you absolutely can't get teeth brushed, make sure your little one at least drinks some water last thing before they go to sleep and (if possible) after each night nursing session. The water will help wash away any food particles/milk sugar left in their mouth and decrease the chance of developing cavities.

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
So far, we've lucked out in that our 18 month old just loves to imitate us. She tries to unload the dishwasher and dryer, she imitates me putting lotion on after a shower, she says "crap"
, that sort of thing. So, when I noticed that she was imitating me while brushing my teeth a few weeks ago, we bought her a little toddler toothbrush.

When I brought it home, I showed it to her and told her it was hers. I pointed out Elmo on the handle b/c he's the main character in her favorite book. And then I asked her if she wanted to brush her teeth. I couldn't believe that she put it in her mouth and started trying. We only bring it out right before bed, so it's part of her bedtime routine. We put a big bib on her b/c she drools a lot when she does it, and we let her walk around the house with it. Every now and then, she'll come to me to show me what she's doing, and I'll put my hand over hers and make sure we get most of the surfaces brushed.

I also second the suggestion to have your toddler drink lots of water to help wash food out of the mouth. My DD has a sippy cup of water all day, and we make sure she takes several gulps after brushing her teeth.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Tooth brushing was horrible for us from 18 months to about 16 months. Now I have an electric toothbrush for her and some toddler ones. We use Toms of Maine Strawberry flavor. I brush first with the electric toothbrush and then she can brush for as long as she wants with her own brush. She loves the electric toothbrush, but the rule is only mommy can use that one. She wants it in her mouth so bad she doesn't fight me. We have begun talking about the dentist (her first appt is in Jan) and play a quick game of this is what the dentist does, counting teeth as I brush them etc.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is a constant battle for us but ds is cavity prone so...we gotta do it!

We have lots of toothbrushes and several types of toothpaste.

I rarely brush his teeth in the bathroom as I find it works best if he is occupied with something else.

I try not to brush them too close to sleep b/c the more tired he is the more struggle. This is dicey as he often wants to eat again but then we just brush again and I figure two times is better than one right?

I let him do a little and then me but usually this ends up in him brushing a little and then running and hiding his toothbrush so we have multiple ones!

I try my best not to hold him down and do it but it takes a lot of creativity and a new approach every few days or so....

Good Luck - those two times a day are some of my most stressful times with ds. If I could have hired help it would be a tooth brusher!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Our DS (just turned 2) likes the little ritual we've come up with... he gets to go into the bathroom, open the closet door, get out his stool, close the closet door, turn on the light, set up the stool, stand on it and play with the faucets. While brushing his teeth we have a few games to get him to keep his mouth open and facing us. Holding a hand mirror up high so that he can see his teeth is fun and helps. My DH will say crazy things like "let's brush our teeth like Kermit, Kermit loves to brush his teeth" and stuff like that. We brush his teeth ourselves thoroughly, then he gets to "brush" which is more like sucking. Then we rinse the tootbrush and put it away, and we wash our hands with soap and rinse and dry and then he opens the closet door, puts away the stool, closes the closet door, turns off the light, and closes the bathroom door behind us. All this responsibility gets him excited to participate. If we forget and do any of the steps, like opening and closing the door, he gets mad! It's worked for a couple months now. We also really stress how important it is to brush teeth several times a day so he knows it's a priority. Good luck!

·
Registered
349 Posts
i admit...i didn't read all the above posts...but i wanted to add what we do.

we call it "sugar bugs"...i told dd that she has sugar bugs in her mouth...she has to open up for me to get them out. i brush her teeth first and get rid of the sugar bugs and then she gets to brush her teeth (which is just really sucking on the toothpaste and water)...

she HATED brushing until we came up with this...and now she will walk up to me, mouth open wide and say "mama i got sugar bugs"...and off we go to brush our teeth

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.