Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some supplements for my 4 year old son and he will not take them. One supplement is liquid vitamin B complex (it tastes nasty), The other two are amino acids that are capsul form. I usually open up the capsul and put it in applesauce or yogart - I don't think they have a taste, but he knows it is in there and won't touch it. These supplements are supposed to help calm him and were recommended by our nutritionist. Any advice?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I don't know, but I hope you get some good suggestions I can use, too. I DREAD ds getting sick and needing meds b/c it's a NIGHTMARE to try and get him to take anything.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
My ds won't take anything except the vitamins he's been taking since he was about 18 months. He's been pretty sick a few times lately and we haven't gotten anything in him. We were given antibiotics for him because the DR thought he had strep throat but we were never able to get him to take it. I would like to start giving ds soem supplements but also need suggestions as to how to do it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I tried a lot of supplements before I found anything tasting acceptable to DS. It used to be a nightmare to get him to take any kind of medicine when he was sick, too.<br><br>
I think it's a bad idea to mix vitamins into his regular food. This only makes him mistrustful of regular food. Have a designated special food that is for supplements -- peanut butter or chocolate syrup are strong enough to disguise just about anything; I mix enzymes and probiotics into a few drops of chocolate syrup daily and tell DS that it is a chocolate enzyme. I always have a cup of water handy to help him wash it down. I also tell him why he is taking a supplement..."This will help your tummy feel good all day long." If something will taste bad, I warn him ahead of time and show him the cup of water. Honesty is more productive than brute force when it comes to taking vitamins! Some kids respond well to getting a REALLY BIG reward immediately after taking their supplements.<br><br>
Test supplements on yourself first. If you gag at the taste, then it's probably unreasonable for you to expect your child to accept it. I couldn't believe how nasty Super Nu-Thera was...I tried everything to dilute or disguise it, but it was awful, and it really wasn't worth the cost or the daily battle with DS. Fortunately I was able to find cheap alternatives that tasted fine and had great results with DS, such as the instant-dissolve raspberry flavored methyl B-12 vitamin or the generic enzyme powder at my local health food store...even better than what the DAN doctor prescribed. I really recommend shopping around to find what works.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The only thing we give that is really terrible tasting is the b-complex (powdered) and the glutathione - blech!<br><br>
But I put pretty much everything in smoothies - cal/mag, probiotics, CLO, flax seed oil. I make different kinds of smoothies but usually have almond or rice milk, froz fruit, yogurt, bananas.<br><br>
Probiotics are pretty tasteless and I can sneak them into yogurt or applesauce.<br><br>
for vitamins we just do chewable gummy vites and those taste good.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
She gets capsules in bites of juice concentrate and the flavor is strong enough to hide most tastes. I can't say she's always thrilled about it but we used a kind of an ABA tactic to get the routine established (offered rewards for agreeing to eat the supplements) and now it's just a part of the routine. We've had much better luck keeping the supplement routine separate from her normal food rather than trying to sneak anything in. My son is the same way and starts refusing to eat entirely if he's not sure if something might contain supplements. He has a special hatred for probiotics, which I don't understand because they don't really taste much of anything.<br><br>
I've heard of people melting chocolate and then mixing supplements in and recooling the chocolate in an ice cube tray. I always thought that sounded like a nice idea.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I TRULY wish I could find a way to get vitamins and supplements into ds. He absolutely will NOT take anything. He doesn't eat any of the kinds of foods that you could 'hide' vitamins/meds in. Doesn't drink juice or smoothies either.<br><br>
Ds has been very ill and tested positive for strep yesterday. Because he won't take oral meds, he had to get a double HUGE dose of antiobiotics in both his legs (at the same time). He didn't want to walk for the rest of the day because his legs were so sore.<br>
It's awful when kids won't take oral meds.<br>
I'm at a loss too. This boy needs vitamins and I can't find a way to get them into him.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have heard this is an issue with children with Autism but for some reason they don't bother DD. I give her fish oil, tropical or raspberry flavored Super Nu Thera and probiotics just in her Vruit juice(not all at the same time but over the day) I've also put Flax oil and Borage oil in her juice and she just sucks it down. Maybe she has no taste buds? Hope you find what works!

·
Registered
81 Posts
DS gets soooo many supplements. I mix them in with Almond or Rice milk in most instances. Those that tase bad I take to my compounding pharmacy and have compounded with Raspberry flavoring. I make as many of them liquid as possible (the only powders he takes are enzymes, probiotics, and Actos).

·
Registered
824 Posts
How to help children learn to swallow pills and ideas on how to hide supplements<br><br><a href="http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ADHD_DrugFree/links/How_to_help_children_001114740410/" target="_blank">http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group..._001114740410/</a>

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Elijah is very resistant to all the probiotics chewables, but will take other chewables such as gummy vitamins and chewable tylenol, etc. He wont' take liquid medicine for love or money. I am hoping to see a doctor that will administer b12 shots and give me some better ideas. We've gotten so that everything here is omega-3 smart balance for cooking all his food that he will eat..even smart balance peanut butter. I am listening to the ideas though. I tried the tongue tab cold medicine this weekend when he was sick and wow he hated that!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts