Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THis is one problem I have with organic produce......it seems to go bad alot quicker. Ive started to wonder if its how I keep them. I have a 2year old refridgerator, a good one from SEARS Elite line.....I read the manuel on the humidity levels....how produce with skins go in one and w/o skins in another. And how to set the levels on the drawers for each. So Im doing that part right....<br><br>
I think the hardest to make last is lettuce. I read some where someone saying they wash and take the leaves apart before storing.....I would think this would make it brown quicker, as the prewashed lettuce in a bag never lasts more than a few days.<br><br>
Would love to hear your tricks, gadgets etc on keeping organic produce and making it last until its gone.....<br><br><br>
thanks!

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
We use Evert-Fresh Bags. They absorb and removes gases and are a moisture barrier. Work very well IMO.<br><br>
My Mom has stored apples all winter and spring and they still where good.<br><br>
We buy ours from <a href="http://www.azurestandard.com/index.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.azurestandard.com/index.cfm</a><br><br>
Edited to fix the web addy

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldnt find anything on that site on that link...... I did a search too!<br><br><br>
Is that the only place to get them??

·
Registered
416 Posts
My husband was the one who suggested we wash, cut (or tear) and store our lettuce in tupperware-like containers (Gladware or something). Works well! I have had the same problem with organic produce, though. Just have to eat it quickly. I think I've seen the bags at my natural food store and it's good to hear they work. Think I'll go buy some.<br><br>
~Melissa

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I found another site<br><br><a href="http://www.evert-fresh.com" target="_blank">www.evert-fresh.com</a><br><br><br>
they had an 800 number to find out where to find it........Id rather find it offline.......<br><br>
I am going to search for them! Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Are you getting your organic produce from the farm (like a CSA)? or from the store? When I buy from the store I have the same problem, but from the farm is truly fresh and lasts much longer. With lettuce I've found that wrapping the head in paper towels (unbleached) helps control moisture, just change the paper towel every few days, lettuce lasts a long time that way.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The natural food store I buy from has their own farm less than an hour away. So its pretty fresh.<br><br>
I do the paper towel trick too....and it does help. But I bought some peaches and grapes and both went back pretty quickly. They have a policy at the store where I just have to bring in the receipt and they refund for any reason. I just hate to have food get wasted and looking for a way to avoid all that.<br><br>
I cant find the bags....Im calling the 800 number this morning for local retailers and Ill list if I get any answer today......

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
Yes, get the bags - they're amazing! I found them by accident in our local grocery store, hanging way up high in the produce section.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called the 1800 number and there were 2 stores in my area. One didnt have them and Im checking the other tonight, a cooking store. Hope I find them!<br><br>
thanks so much for the info!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts