Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay that's not quite what I mean. I don't really want to.
We very irresponsibly
neglected to spay our kitten in time and she became pregnant. She just gave birth last week to four adorable little boys. It was awesome, the kids and I watched the whole thing. She is a great little mommy and we love them all so much.
So we are keeping one for sure, and the in-laws have claimed one, and we may have a few leads on the other two. My problem is that I feel very proprietary towards them and I want to keep all of them. Serously. So that would mean a total of 6 cats in our house (plus one dog) and DH would NOT be happy. I don't think it's gonna happen

Am I acting obsessed, it is normal to want them all and have a hard time letting go? In particular, the little white kitty the In-laws are in love with is breaking my heart , but I know they will spoil him to death. Arrgh!
I know this seems like an immature and lame question, I'm just feeling very hormonal right now...

BTW: The tabby we are keeping for sure is our favorite and he has a little crooked leg. We named him Crookshanks (harry potter reference)

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Totally understandable! Just make sure they have great homes, maybe where you can visit.
Glad to see you've taken responsibility for them. I'd take one if I were near you...DD1 has been clamoring for a kitten!
Good luck!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
BTDT. We had a tabby who came to us desperate in a snowstorm, pregnant and barely a year old. She had SEVEN kittens in her first litter. I placed an ad in the newspaper, and I asked for $10 for each kitten. IMO, if you can't afford my adoption fee, how do I know you can care for the animal properly? So my first suggestion would be to charge a small adoption fee. I also made it necessary that everyone who adopted gave me their name, address, and phone number. No one had a problem with this, and were understanding of my reasons. I made several follow-up calls. While I never visited anyone, I'm glad I kept in touch for a while because someone ended up needing to find their kitten another home, and I was thankful they came to me for help. It was also wonderful to talk to the people who adopted and hear about how the little ones were doing. The "runt" of that litter, who suffered with colds and eye infections ended up growing into a 20-pound giant of a cat! I was happy to hear he was being so well taken care of.

You could call your local humane society or shelter and see what their protocol is for adoptions, and try to follow that. I know one shelter here does criminal background checks before they allow you to adopt from them.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You could also (if you can afford it), keep them for a few months longer than you might, and take the kittens to be spayed/neutered and then charge an adoption fee that would cover that. You dont want more kitties being born later from these guys! If you do take them to a shelter, rest assured that they will most likely be adopted out - everyone wants baby animals!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I don't like to keep kittens a long time (no professional experience, just lots and lots of barn cats and house cats growing up) because the mom often starts to hate them and that encourages fights and spraying. She generally wants them gone ASAP. So what I would do is charge whatever your low-cost spay/neuter clinic is asking for alteration, often $50, and put their checks in a savings account or immediately pull them out as money orders (whatever you have to do to make sure the money is there later). Then when they bring you proof of sterilization, you can refund their money. They'll feel like they got a free spay, and you'll do a lot to motivate them to get the surgery scheduled.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
The mother cat hates them? Do you mean this mother cat or all mother cats?

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Most Queens will start to really rebel against their kits somewhere around the 8-11 week mark. Cats are not pack animals so that is the age when they are sent off on their own. Spaying the mom soon will help (like as soon as she's done nursing) and keeping only one kit shouldn't be a problem (especially if you have him neutered early)

We're looking for a kitten for Havoc, where are you???

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's really interesting about the mother cat disliking the kittens after a certain age. Makes sense I guess!

·
Registered
403 Posts
My cat had kittens (when we rescued her she was pg). She was still nursing them at 12 weeks when we had to get rid of them all.

Here's how I got rid of them - I stubbornly refused to listen to any common sense or reason until it got to the point where our landlord said either give them up or be evicted (a 1 pet/household rule at that time) and dh refused to relocate for a bunch of kittens

But we gave them to a shelter that agreed to keep them together as long as possible. And it was a good place. But it was sad

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
Most Queens will start to really rebel against their kits somewhere around the 8-11 week mark.
Yep they sure will! Mango would start kicking her kittens in the face while they were nursing around the 8 week mark!! Then she would growl or get up and run away. However, we kept one of the kittens from her second and hopefully final litter ( no way to know, we gave her to a shelter because we couldn't take her across the country when we moved ) We neutered George, the kit we kept, immediately, and there were no problems. *sniff* I miss my kitties.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts