Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I have a headache and at least 4 huge mouth ulcers, (which have both been here for at least a week) the babies are cranky, the kids are cranky, and I have been calling family all day to invite them to ds's bday party tomorrow and barely anyone wants to come. I have had a child in my arms or my lap for at least 95% of the day, and I am just super stressed out. I went to my mom's house to try to get some help, but now I am just more stressed out. How do wind down on a bad day if you don't have any support? Sometimes it is so hard to parent alone. Any good destressing ideas?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
How do I handle bad days? Well, what else can I do BUT handle it?

Honestly, I'd be releived that few could come to the party- less work!!

Destressing- I come to MDC!!!

Are your older kids big enough to help out with housework and stuff?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having a rough day.
The time when single parenting sucks the most is when I and/or we are all sick.

My kids are pretty in tune and for the most part if I am REALLY sick, they get it and help each other and let me sleep when I need to. Although it is rough when they still think I'm functioning okay and I'm feeling lousy.

I keep everything simple. I even order food in when I'm really in trouble. I try to rest and take a bath -- even though they come in the bathroom and bug me, it's still somewhat relaxing.

I hope you're feeling better and no matter who shows up for the party.....it will be great!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm so sorry you are having a rough day. I also take a bath when I'm overwhelmed with stress. I bring in a candle or two, turn off the lights, even bring in a crystal or two (if you have them they are wonderful energy in the bath), and as many yummy smelling bubbles as I can get into the tub! LOL!

I also read a good book. I love to read, and for me, I can really escape my stressful reality a bit when I slip into another world of whatever book I'm reading. My daughter and I go to the library once / week, and I also find some great books at the thrift store for $.50 or $1, so I stockpile them to have on hand.

Also, drinking a nice herbal tea works wonders.

Sometimes though, what I really need is a good cry. I swear that when I'm done with my heartwrenching sobbing, I feel so much lighter and better, and I wonder gee, what was I so upset about anyway. It'll all be ok. And it will. There is always tomorrow.

I hope your son's birthday party is enjoyed by all. I hope you feel better soon.

Take Care,

Karen

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Quote:
How do wind down on a bad day if you don't have any support? Sometimes it is so hard to parent alone.
First I remind myself how much harder it was to parent alone when their father was living in the house, too.

I find that hot baths, yoga, good books, self-massage, funny dvds, message boards, and strong orgasms are helpful de-stressors.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Sorry you are having a hard day Jenna
My kids are the most difficult when I am stressed and need them to be cooperative so I try to lighten my load by making them laugh, getting them set up on an art project they like or a game they can play together and then I can bow out and relax a little when they are having a nice time.

The strong orgasm suggestion had me :LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
ah yes parenting alone is hard enough but when you feel crappy - fugedabboutit. This past New Year's Day I had some 24 hour flu thing and was feeling way poopy. I dragged myself to take my dd to see a movie early in the day and spent the rest of the day sleeping on and off while she played and watched the Honeymooner's back to back on channel 11.

It's easier when they get older to find time to watch mindless escapist DVD's - I particularly like anthing with Ewan McGregor naked, LOTR, Star Wars, anything with Johnny Depp. Books - not high falutin' brain books but stuff by Janet Evanovich or Anne McCaffrey. I'll call my sister. In the winter I second the bath thing followed by a good trashy book. However, this usually needs to be done after they are asleep which isn't always easy.

So, just to know you are not alone so find a good DVD with a cute guy in it and I second the strong orgasm.

cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts