Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I am planning on homeschooling my boys, almost 4 & 2 1/2, and of course since my oldest is getting up near Kindergarten age, I am constantly getting comments about "when he's in school," or "are you doing that in school," that sort of thing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I don't tell everyone were are homeschooling, because I know that it may be faced with objections and I don't feel the need at this point to deal with that. But I am wondering how anyone handles the child aspect of this.<br><br>
My son most surely hears this all the time too, and though I have talked about how he will be learning at home, and some boys & girls go to a school to learn, etc... I am just a bit worried about this... I don't know if it because I think he will want to go to school... Or for other reasons, it just makes me a bit uneasy...</p>
<p><br>
Anyone have a similar situation or understand what I mean by all this?<br><br>
Thanks for any advice</p>

·
Registered
366 Posts
<p>Dh and I have encountered these issues and have decided to only tell people who we see on a regular basis that we are HSing.  Just last weekend we saw my brother's girlfriend's parents, who we see 1x a year, and they asked when dd(3) would be going to preschool.  I just said, not right now.  No sense getting into the specifics of our plans w/ someone who will only look at me like I have 3 heads.  However, with people I see often and truly care about, then we sit down with them and talk about it and explain why we chose this path.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As for seeing people on the street who ask why your child is not in school, just try to be confident and say, "We Homeschool".  No sense hanging your head in shame for fear of what they think.  They are not in your shoes :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He will surely want to go to school at some point, I would think it's only natural seeing as 90% of children do.  But, keeping him socially active will curb that :)</p>

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>Thanks for the reply. I am glad to see I am not the only one going thru this. It is true, I do tell random people, like the dental hygenist, that we plan to homeschool, but those who are "accquantainces" sometimes not.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess once I am actually "homeschooling" for real the insecurity will go away about my son asking about going. My son has asked about going on a schoolbus and when I told my mom, she was like, "Awwww" and I just laughed and told her that the fact that my 3 year old wants to go on a schoolbus does not mean I should send him to school!<br>
 </p>
<p>Thanks again</p>

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
<p>I remember them asking about the bus. My oldest is 10 now and when he wanted to ride the bus, I took him on the public transit bus.</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts