Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our first official yr. to HS and we are using the Calvert curriculum. One of my ds's (5) is already sounding out words and could really zoom through the kindergarden material. The other ds (4) is loving the easy pace and is at a perfect stage to go one lesson a day. So how do i do both? I dont want to hold my 5 yr old back but i dont want to rush my 4 yr old either. So how do you teach more than one grade level without causing mass confusion. And if I split up their school time what does one do while the other is doing lessons?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Have you tried to introduce the subject/topic then have them do the work at their own levels? Example:phonics- introduce the main idea then have 4yo work on what s/he is capable of and have 5yo work on what s/he is capable of. Sort of like the bus- stop approach where everyone learns about the same thing but they apply them at their own learning levels. I always teach above my dds learning levels because even though they can't explain to you what you said they still absorb it and surprisingly will recall what you said or taught at a different date. I am not to familiar with Calvert although my husband wanted to use it at first, so this might be a little difficult with this curriculum. Also another idea is that I reserve things to do for the little one or gently suggest ideas of what to do. I have things 'put away' that can only be used during 'school' time- special puzzles, paint w/ water, simple stuff that is easy to clean up.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
We do it but don't use a packaged cirriculum so there is no schedule to follow and we don't have to worry about being behind or ahead. I start Madeline on someting she can do for herself likemath or handwriting and then get Lily going with somehting. Usuallky a few work book pages. Everyone is always in the mood for a story and try to read one picture book and one chapter from a book a day. They both usually listen to both. SOmetimes I will have Madeline read the picture book to Lily and thenshe has done her reading exersize for the day. Spanish is done seperately but could be done together. I like that they hear the lesson twice though. By then Lily is done and I finish up with Madeline those things she can't do on her own. I also wanted to point out we only do about 1-2 hours of school work a day so even if I did completely seperate what they were doing it wouldn't be horrible.

I would say if they got a really big gap between you may want to reevaluate your cirriculum choice. Unit studies work really well for kids who are close but not at the same level. Actually unit studies work pretty well for kids who are miles apart. You are still doing the same stuff at the same time just at different levels and some of the kits com very well planned out if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions you guys
That's kinda the way i've been doing it this week. Actually, trying to juggle homeschooling on 2 grade levels has been the easy part. The hard part is trying to teach and chase down my 7 mo. old who is in to EVERYTHING
:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts