Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 4 months old and EBF. I have posted here before about his green, mucousy poops, reflux, dry skin, torso rash, and itchy face. . .we have been totally dairy free for about a month now. He is 75% better, but not 100% and I keep wondering about environmental vs. food intolerance.

For instance he gets this red bumpy rash on his torso, which has been a lot better lately and then last night after his bath I tried a massage with apricot oil and this morning the red bumps are back. So I assume he is reacting to the oil--how does that fit with the food intolerance?

Also, he rubs his eyes, ears and face A LOT. How do I know if this is do to a food intolerance or if it is an allergy/reaction to dust/mold/pollen?

I know I need to take the next step and eliminate more foods. . .but I was just wondering if anyone had thoughts on being able to know whether he is reacting to something internal or something external.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Typically reactions to dust/mold type allergies aren't until after 2yo. But it could be a contact dermatitis type thing from laundry detergent or lotions. And if it's getting better by being dairy free while not changing the other things, then it might be a combination.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Typically reactions to dust/mold type allergies aren't until after 2yo. But it could be a contact dermatitis type thing from laundry detergent or lotions. And if it's getting better by being dairy free while not changing the other things, then it might be a combination.
Okay, so at this age most of his symptoms can be assumed to be a food intolerance? I have switched to Planet powder for laundry which should be free of all the "bad" stuff and I never used any lotions on him and little to no soap. But b/c he has dry skin I wanted to try some oil. . .thus the apricot oil. But either he had a bad reaction to the oil, or something I ate yesterday. Would coconut oil be a safe choice for his skin?

I just feel like he has very sensitive skin. . .it seems to redden/itch at the slightest thing. And I don't know how much of this to attribute to (my) diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.