Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been trying part-time EC for almost 2 months now. When we started, DS was about 5 months old and I thought I'd eventually figure out his "signs" or signals when he had to go. I still have no idea. We've been doing baby signs with him while he's going and when we put him on the potty, but it's mostly just in the timing. I know he usually pees just after a nap or about 15-20 minutes after a feeding, so we put him on the potty at that time, and he usually goes (not always).

How did you figure out when your baby had to go? And for those using baby sign language, when did they start signing they had to go before they started going pee (or poop)?

Just a bunch of newbie questions...

Thanks!

·
Registered
669 Posts
I started with Seth at 4 weeks, and he's 7 months now (about the same as your babe) and he did a lot better when he was younger. He has stopped signaling, except for a little squirming when nursing. Otherwise he will load his pants unless I'm on some timing kind of system that day (with a 3yo and a 2 yo around too, I'm not too attentive)

His past signals include, fussing, and making a fart noise with his lips (which is what I do when I try to get him to go) but those were inconsistent at best. When I do have time to EC, I usally rely on timing, but it's kind of not working at the moment. Hopefully it'll get better soon!!

HTH!!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
My dd has never been much of a signaller. At 7 months, she would probably fuss and squirm if she was in the sling and had to pee, but if I wasn't holding her, she might not signal in any noticeable way. I've mostly used timing, and that has worked well enough that we were able to stop using diapers by the time dd was 8 months old. She's 17 1/2 months now, and still doesn't consistently signal when she needs to go. Sometimes I wonder if I've kept her from learning how to signal by anticipating when she's going to need to go and taking her before she thinks of it herself.

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
ds gets a far away thoughtful like look before he poops..if he has a diaper on he will hit his crotch with his fist right before/as he's peeing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.