Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wont be having an ultrasound this time and was curious as to how you know if the placenta is anterior,posterior, low, high?
Also what kind of symptoms are displayed if there is a problem with positioning, is it always blood?
I will be having a vbac in a birth center 2 hours away and although i like the suprise of not knowing the sex, the other part of me does not like the suprise of not knowing if things are ok with babe and babes environment.

I will be asking my mw in december these questions but I thought I would ask here as well.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I am not a midwife yet, but I believe that you can often hear the sound of the placenta (unless it is posterior) with a fetoscope or doppler. And, I believe that symptoms of a previa would always have blood. I know it is hard in todays world to not have an U/S; I didn't with my son, and there were times that I felt like I was taking this large leap of faith that things were ok. But, at some point, around 5 months preg., my dad asked me "Well, aren't you going to have an u/s to at least make sure the baby is ok?" And, I responsed that if something WERE wrong ( birth defects, etc), having an u/s was not going to change it. I think that prenatal care (meaning what YOU do for your baby, like eat well, keep active, and send loving thoughts to your baby) is of far more benefit to helping make sure everything is "ok" in there.

Also, I am curious...you say you are having a VBAC at a birth center. I have been told that birth centers are not allowd at VBAC (thanks to some screwed up study). Is it a Independent freestanding birth center? CNMs or CPM's? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
AngelaB said:
I wont be having an ultrasound this time and was curious as to how you know if the placenta is anterior,posterior, low, high?
QUOTE]

Most of the time you can pickup placenta sounds with a fetoscope or Doppler if you get it on the right place. I have very few protocols that I strictly adhere to, but having an ultrasound for women with a previous cesarean is one of them, unfortunately. I dislike ultrasounds a great deal, but having the information of where the placenta is, and whether or not it is near the scar is extremely important to me. Many midwives that I know are the same, actually now that I think of it, I cannot think of any midwives that don't require an ultrasound for women who would like a VBAC. That's definitely something to think about and ask your midwife about
. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replys!
I am having a VBAC at a free standing birth center in Topeka KS. My midwife is a CNM and if I am transfered the physician that works there as well will transfer with me and be my care provider in hospital.
I dont know how they are able to still do VBACs. I meant to ask how they avoided the new policies and I forgot! So next time I go for a checkup I will ask..

I will ask about the US checking for position of placenta relative to my scar. I have had a successful VBAC before and had a 10 pound baby and 40 hours of labor with no intervention. So from what my mw said she is quite confident that I will have a great vbac this time as well.

·
Premium Member
14,874 Posts
If your last birth was a VBAC then that is why you are able to birth at the birth center. As for the placenta my mw and I thought mine was on the left kinda centered on my side. Turns out we were listening to the cord as the placenta was attached to the fundus (we could tell after birth) . But we were listening w/ a dopplar.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My mw asked that if I have an u/s, which ultimately we did at 25 wks this time, the one thing she wanted to know is where the placenta is. I'venever had a c/s, she just wondered if there was any chance of a previa and if I was having an u/s anyway, may as well check. It was posterior. I can hear it with my fetoscope. Throughout both previous pregnancies I asked tons of questions and learned how to tell the different sounds apart (fetal heart, umbilical cord, placenta) otherwise I'd probably have no idea.

Namaste, Tara

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I too have always read and heard that you can place the placenta with a doppler.. my midwives heard mine for my last two pregnancies. As for ultrasound, I think of it as a diagnostic tool when other symptoms of a possible problem arise, not as a way to make sure everything is ok even when all other evidence points to that... That said, at least one ultrasound is something I might want for a VBAC if placenta placememt/scar was enough to really preoccupy me with worry.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am excited about learning how to hear the different sounds in the womb! I had absolutly no problems with my VBAC so I am inclined to think that I wont have problems with this pregnancy or birth. If I would have stayed at the hospital in early labor or gone back too soon it probably would have been a different story.
I think that I would like to have my MW try to hear where the placenta is with doppler of fetoscope and then if problems should arise then have an u/s. I am not bleeding or spotting at all. I am feeling alot of pressure very low in my pelvis. I dont remember these sensations with my previous pregnancies however I had a m/c a year ago and it has really thrown my for a loop when I try to decide if the sensations I am feeling are normal or not. My fear gets in the way sometimes.

I do feel baby moving daily(I am 17 weeks) when I am sitting on the computer and when I lay down at night so logically I dont think anything is wrong. I guess its just the unknown and the very low pressure. Maybe its just the weight of babe sitting in my pelvis and I know that my pelvic floor must have changed after pushing out a 10 pound baby!

I want the sex of this baby to be a suprise and I know if I get an ultrasound I will have to know! Aside from having some uneasy feelings about the safety of the ultrasound I would rather just skip it if I can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.