Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is in the construction industry and we move a lot and I'm finding it hard to meet people since I SAH. I missing adult interaction and making friends. I've always had issues with social situations (because of the circumstances growing up I don't really know how to interact well on a personal level) and I have no idea how to make friends now that I don't work...to tell the truth I really didn't know how even when I did work but I at least had interaction.

My husband's been very encourging and says it would be good for me to make friends. But I don't know how to go about it.

How do you meet new people and has being a SAHP made it more difficult to meet new people and socialize?

TIA

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
-playgrounds
-neighbors
-mothers groups/organizations like Mothers and More, MOPS, etc.
-groups on meetup.com
-library story hour
-online community bulletin boards
-other moms from our preschool
-hospitals and churches sometimes sponsor playgroups and discussion groups

It's taken a little while to build up our network, but ds is now 3.5 and we have lots of good friends in our town. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I try and chat up the moms at activities we do: gymnastics and preschool and school. I was thinking I don't have a lot of friends, but then I had weight loss surgery and I've needed a lot of help with my kids, and I have 3 friends who have really stepped up and shown me they are true friends.

It's hard when you move a lot, but don't make excuses, just start talking. Or smiling at every mom you see.

·
Registered
146 Posts
check out www.moms.meetup.com
You can find a moms meetup group in your area... I also am a SAHM and have no friends. (well, technically I have them, but I dont "see" them so does it really count??) I also go to La Leche League meetings (which, I dont know if you breastfeed, but if you do I *love* going!) and that is my once-a-month outting where I see other adults who share my veiw points, and babies are welcome so it's great. My daughter ercently weaned, but I still go.
And our LLL group just started a Toddler Group, and a Moms Night Out.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Playgroups are good places to meet other parents, library storytimes (or just at the library in the children's section) and the park. I met one friend in a local eatery when I saw she had some homeschool materials on the table and another in that same eatery when my DD started playing with her DS (I must admit I did have to be somewhat assertive, which I never am. . .I was just desperate for a friend). Also, not sure how religious you are (I'm not very, but. . .)church can be a great place to meet people (I think that it's the reason I went to church in the states. . .because I was so desperate for adult interaction).

·
Registered
297 Posts
LLL Meetings are great for meeting moms...
and in general, striking up conversations and being friendly. its hard at first, and some interactions will inevitably be awkward, but once you click with someone its so great!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have a playgroup that I go to. There is an AP group here too, but I haven't met many through there.
Check at your library for a parent pages local magazine. Ours has a website were you can post for playgroups. That's how I found mine.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I try to keep a somewhat consistent routine of places I visit. We always go to the park in the afternoon, and turns out some other moms and kids are always there so we get to know each other. Now we visit them at home or in coffeeshops because the weather is poorer.

Meetings like LLL have net me some friends. I make sure to arrive a little early and leave time to stay a little late so I can chat with people outside the meeting topic.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I second meetup.com. There are a couple playgroups in my area that I attend. You could also go to the Finding Your Tribe section of MDC and see if there is anyone in your area? I found one of my good friends on Diaperswappers in the PA section.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Meetup.com, Mom's groups, playgroups, library story hour, the playground.

There are lots of parents at our synagogue, but I haven't met many with little ones around my daughter's age yet. I suspect that will happen as she approaches preschool age.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's not easy for me either. DD is 3 1/2 and I"m just now feeling comfortable with my collection of friends.

I have to force myself to move out of my comfort zone. It's easier when you are at work, or in school and you see the same people every day.

It takes a long time to get to know someone you only see for a few minutes once a week at the library or playground.

I'm better now about having paper and a pen to exchange email and phone numbers.

I also love meetup.com. I had to try a couple (well...4) groups to find the right fit, but now my daughter and I both have friends we see every week through the group.

Church is finally feeling comfortable, we joined sunday school and a mom's group and I force myself to go to any social events even if I feel uncomfortable at first. Now that we've done it several times we know enough people to feel at home.

It's not easy.

Especially if you think you may be moving again. You must feel like there's no point in going through all the work if you just have to keep starting over!

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
School functions.

It's hard. I finally met someone who is a parent of a child one of mine plays with where I actually like both the child and the mom. That is so rare.

I always used to meet people through work, so this is all new to me. Our socializing is usually done as a family so it kind of revolves around the kids.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Volunteering and taking classes. I've found an unexpected cool group of women and some men at my aquafit class I take with a friend. It's funny how many laughs you can share while doing crunches in 15 feet of water, freezing your butt off. *G*

·
Premium Member
4,690 Posts
if you are fortunate and live in a large community, i would probably join something i was interested in like a book club, LLL, sports etc etc.

but, i don't meet people either. i live in a rural community and social opportunities are very limited unless you are already "in".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.