Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you keep your ideas, projects, book lists, etc. organized? DD is only 15 mo and we're not 'schooling' yet, but I read a lot about it and have lists of books and projects we use now and in the future. What are some of your favorite ways of collecting these so that you can find them when the time comes? Do you keep everything on your computer or on paper in files? In a notebook? Do you organize by age or subject or season? I'm not looking to be hyper-organized but I'm so inspired and collecting so much info I don't want to feel it will be forgotten or go to waste kwim?

·
Registered
621 Posts
ooops... are we supposed to be organised?

sorry, i have no tips... I just read a lot of stuff, and try to remember it all. We have an art cupboard... I guess that about as organised as we get.

ETA: actually, re-reading your post, i'm inspired to advise you to organize by season. usually it's at the beginning of a season or around a holiday that I look through my books again and come up with ideas to set the tone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I think how you end up organizing everything depends on how you approach homeschooling.

We're unschoolers, so all my stuff is for my reference only and it gets organized by subject/unit or strewn anywhere for the kids to come across.

If I was using a more traditional approach, I would probably organize by subject, then individual lessons within those subjects. (And this is how I'm organizing the stuff I'm working on/creating/collecting for my teaching degree.)

I keep it in my bookshelves, in binders, files, etc. and on the computer. (Always write in notes on the paper files that direct to the supporting computer files.)

I would never remember it all
, so I have to stay hyper-organized with it.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I just started last month, but so far this is what I do. I bought some plain binders and separated it into weeks, then put a weekly planner sheet at the beginning of each week. I write in everything we do for the day on there. Behind that I have my book list for the week, books I read to her or she read to me, then behind those I put any worksheets she has done, stories she wrote, pictures she drew, etc... I am already filling up a binder, lol!

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I clip, copy, print, or jot down ideas on paper and keep them in binders. One is for Christmas, one is divided into other holidays, one binder is divided by traditional school subjects. Oh, and I have a folder for Halloween. So far, so good I guess. Not the most efficient system, though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Kiddo's playroom/classroom has (pocket or dry erase or magnetic) posters on the walls (alphabet, maps, calendar, etc.) + a bookshelf with relevant children's books from the library, books for parents & post cards. On top of this are a couple flexible mini binders (plastic snaps instead of metal rings) that hold current curriculum activities (which require supervision). There's also a plastic mini dresser for craft supplies. The coffee table bottom shelf holds all our board/card games + puzzles. There's an open mini filing box with carry straps full of various free play paper activity options & a larger plastic filing box with carry handle holding Waldorf + Core Knowledge lesson plans. A cardboard box under my desk holds completed projects. 2 shelf style filing systems on my desk hold other organizational/assessment papers & lesson plans to save for 1st grade. An old wooden magazine rack holds her workbooks (she likes them a lot most of the time although they bore the snot out of me all the time, LOL). All our chapter books are in our bedrooms along with our music (mini electric paino, violins & viola, flutes, etc.) I use a lap desk with clipboard to hold my monthly objectives list + calendar of local events (& any additional printed activity plans)

As organized as this is, it's only for my mother's sanity since we live with my parents: we follow lesson plans very loosely (I need something to report back to my professor about, though, too since I'm using homeschool for my field experience)

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
i keep all of my favorite websites "very loosely organized"
in my favorites folder on my computer. i also have folders and bookshelves filled with future ideas in my closet (which consist mostly of books given to me by other homeschoolers that i hope will be useful in the future). for things i want to accomplish this year, i keep word docs on my computer in my HS ideas folder. this is especially handy for ideas that involve future field trips, classes, holiday crafts, etc. etc. etc. i also write things in a notebook, but for me this is least effective
i put the notebook in a "safe" place and can't ever find it again

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Three-ring binder with sectional tabs. I have three active sections. "Daily Log" where I write down everything we've done that day. "Book List" where I keep a running list of books we have already read. And "Notes and Ideas" which is just that. Ideas for unit studies or curricula, list of "to read" books, random notes from homeschool group meetings, etc.

On the computer I keep the weekly schedule as well as stuff like science activity ideas, writing assignments, basically anything that can easily be kept on the computer.

It's not super-organized and I did it all myself, I didn't buy or download a system. But it works.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. For now I'm going to purchase 2 binders, one fall/winter, one spring/summer and start putting my project ideas, recommeded books, etc. in those. And remeber to bookmark all my websites. Several times I've gone back for something and its been moved or pulled. I guess I should print really cool things out or they'll be gone by the time we need them (years down the road).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.