Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I got a new dog today, she's real small. Do these pups go in a litter box or outside? What do I do?
I am not "up" on dog care. I rescued this doggie today so no time for research 1st! We are moving to a home with brand new carpeting, would like to keep it that way!

Help!
:

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
It depends on what your goal is--paper trained? Litter box trained? Totally outside (traditionally housebroken)? Small dogs can absolutely be housebroken, but many choose to paper-train because small bladders can't hold out as long as big ones and it's just plain convenient to have a dog who is allowed to eliminate in the house.

Generally, paper-training is extremely easy. You just confine the dog in a smallish area with one end for sleeping and one end lined with papers or piddle pads. Put the dog there whenever you're not directly supervising her or playing. She'll naturally move off the blanket to pee, and when she's well habituated to the papers you can start making the area bigger. Within a couple of weeks she should go running for the papers when she has to go.

I've not litter-box trained a dog, but my breeder friend who does it with her puppies starts the same way as above, but instead of papers she uses whatever is eventually going to be in the litterbox (she uses shavings). When the puppies are reliably moving to the shavings, she makes the area of shavings smaller and smaller until there's just two litterboxes full of them and the rest of the area is bare floor.

For traditional housebreaking I recommend crate training; if she's been abused or confined in a crate she may have lots of hangups about them (definitely overcomeable but patience is definitely in order). If she's never been crated, the couple days of transition are no fun but after that she should welcome the crate and the safety and security it represents.

I would not expect immediate results. Adult dogs train quickly, but not instantly. The best thing you can do for yourself and her is to confine her whenever you are not supervising or interacting with her; it will provide her with a predictable, consistent environment in which she is primed to succeed, not fail. Also, it's classic for little dogs to remain markers or problem peers. I'm convinced that this is simply size--more than five or ten feet away from the bed or nest is fair game since the dog is so small. So I would not count on her ever having the full run of the house unsupervised; little dogs often do best when they can be everywhere with their people, but when you need to go to work or at night, she can be behind a baby gate in a small room or the kitchen.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I hope now that Marie's got her she'll post the picture (and I asked her to take a couple better ones). Marie wanted to keep her private--if that's changed, I'll be happy to describe her and give my guess. I've PMed you with it privately.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I PM'd you both her pic, lol!
I will take better pics tomorrow, now that she's all clean. Don't wanna post the icky older ones I have where she's mostly dirty.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
You might not want to paper train her at first unless you want her to keep paper training her. It's pretty hard to get a dog to go outside once it's used to going inside.... and all papers you might leave on the floor are likely to be a potty.

You can train a small dog to potty outside pretty easily. My 4.5 lb. pomeranian did it after a couple weeks of training.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so at the risk of sounding totally dumb...just newspaper on the floor? That won't soak through?

In my former life I was a cat person...having a dog in new to me.
:

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I used puppy pads AKA chuxs.

Worked great.

BUT now when he has top go he just finds the nearest plastic bag and wets that down
:

We always seem to have some type of plastic bag like thing on the floor.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmzbm
OK, so at the risk of sounding totally dumb...just newspaper on the floor? That won't soak through?

:
I dunno really, I've seen people who only use newspaper, and it seems too messy for me. That's why I started training Roxie to go outside. I think some people use puppy pads all the time, but I couldn't bring myself to throw them away every day.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:

:
I remember my parents doing the paper thing with a dog we had when I was younger. You have to put down lots of layers for the paper to not be too disgusting, but it can still soak through, so you want to put it on a non-carpeted space. Its still messy.
Your best bet is to do the work for traditional house breaking, via the advice by TheKimballs, but if you needed to, Id think a litter box would work the best.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
We trained our small dog to go outside, but if we were gone several hours we would leave papper for him to do his business on because we knew he just physically couldn't hold it for very long (small bladder, yk?)

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:

:
We use newspaper and haven't had any problems. He's a little guy so he goes often, but not too much each time. We just change the papers as needed. We do walk him everyday for exercise, though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.