Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I choose names that sound good in our languages first and foremost, but because we live in the UK, we don't want to choose something that sounds too weird in English.

So I am wondering how you would pronounce and where you would put the emphasis in:

Emil

and

Emilie

We don't know what we are having, but like both names.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Emil: eh-MEAL
Emilie: eh-MUH-lee

These are both Anglicized pronounciations, of course. The French would balk at such an accent, I'm sure! But this is how *I* would pronounce them in English (and coming from a French-Canadian background).

·
Registered
756 Posts
I'm not sure if it would sound the same in the UK as in the US, but I think of Emil as A-meal (have you ever seen the old version of South Pacific)

Emilie I'd think would be the same as Emily (e-mill-y)

nice names!

I think Emily might be near the top of the name popularity charts in the US but I haven't looked at the lists in a long time.

(Which reminds me, maybe I ought to do that LOL. I just packed my bag and threw a couple old name books into it.)

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We pronounce it as Eh-MEE-Lieh (emphasis on the "mi" ). A bit similar to Amelie.

As to Emil, we roll the L on the end, KWIM?
I am not sure I like the "meal" ending of English...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, I just found this website where you can hear how the name is pronounced!

Emil We REALLY do not like this pronunciation though, so we will be droping this name from our list...

And we pronounce Emilia very similar to this, except for the beginning and ending vowels, which sound as an EH instead of an AH.
DH has a niece called Amelia (which is pronounced very different in his language) otherwise we would use that spelling.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I love the site that says how to pronounce the names...
Can I ask what language(s?) you speak?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Danish and Portuguse.
Interestingly enough, the way we pronounce all the names we like, is very similar in such different languages

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
I would say

emeel

and

emily

FWIW, I loved that book um, not My Antonia, but the other one by the same author (Willa Cather)? Which had an Emil in it? hmm.. I will figure it out.. O! Pioneers.. that's the one.. Hallmark made a movie of it too I think.

Have you thought of Emilio? I have a vested interest in that particular version..
:

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quindin View Post
Emil We REALLY do not like this pronunciation though, so we will be droping this name from our list...

That's awful. I don't think anyone would actually pronounce it that way. I'm with the majority on this thread - eh-MEEL.

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
That's awful. I don't think anyone would actually pronounce it that way. I'm with the majority on this thread - eh-MEEL.
Yeah, I just listened to it too, and that is NOT how I would pronounce it at all.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would say
Ih-MILL
and
Emily.

(Emile with an E, I would pronounce Eh-MEAL.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts