Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have an older child who is hurting a younger child, what do you do to protect the younger child? We often ask how to stop the older child's behavior, and many will comment on the fact that the behavior is age-appropriate and he/she will grow out of it eventually. But what about the younger child? How do you protect him/her? What do you do to make sure his/her childhood experience is not dominated by getting hurt by the older sibling?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I can only speak for my own (4 and 15 months), but--tons of supervision. If the older one is agressive towards the younger, I find there is nothing else to do except be there, close by. I find I have gotten pretty good at knowing when my 4 yo is reaching his limit and is close to being out of control. I head him off when he is getting frustrated and either get involved in their play, or try to get one of them involved in doing something with me instead.

It is not perfect, but I think it;s really the only way to do it, for us.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.