Votes: 168 60.0%
  • Older siblings also share the bed

Votes: 53 18.9%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you're "supposed" to have no blankets, no pillows, not get baby overheated, have your mattress on the floor, have them sleep on their backs, etc. etc. etc.
Now, how many of us really do all that. And which things don't you do?

To be honest, we have a high bed with just a toddler rail on one side. He often sleeps on his side next to a stuffed animal bear, my blankets are often covering his lower half, and I use two pillows, one turned sideways to nurse comfortably.

So there.

- Krista

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Our co-sleeping is the same now at 5 yo as it was as an infant. We used blankets, pillows and he slept in the middle between us. We all dress very lightly- he was in a onsie as an infant and now wears tees and boxers in the summer, cotton jammies in the winter. I did say that he didn't always sleep on his back as an infant but that was just because we BF. I would lei on my side and before the babe could roll over on his own I place him on his side to nurse so we could both fall back asleep. When I put him down for naps, etc it was always on his back.

edited to add that our bed is off the floor too but I do have big cushies sheepskins on each side.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
when DD was tiny we co-slept without blankets but with her in a sleep positioner in the crook of my arm, no pillows either.

the older and more mobile she got, we had to get rid of the bed frame and box, then the box came back and we were able to add blankets and pillows. I.e. we knew she could move the blankets away if she was hot.

cosleeping rocks.

Liz

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
We hava a high bed with 2 rails. We have pillows and blankets- can't imagine being without them. He rolls, so I cannot control if he sleeps on his back or front.

When he was a newborn I was more "by the book" when co-sleeping.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
DD is 12 months old. She sleeps with her head on a pillow, on her tummy, next to dh. We use a thick comforter. She also sleeps in sweatpants and a sweatshirt, socks and slippers. We do not have rails on the bed. Yes, she fell on the floor already. About a 3 foot drop. I am usually not in the bed with them, since she flops all over and is a major bed hog, crying if I don't get out of bed to give her more room. She prefers to snuggle with dh.
She loves him more. So you probably can't get more unsafe than we sleep. We did not sleep like this when she was little, though. I don't worry about sids now that she is older.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Blankets, pillows, baby sleeps in a diaper and a t-shirt most nights. Mattress on the floor.

Baby sleeps with DH if I'm up late.

We dress her warmly before she goes to sleep at eight or nine and then change her into a fresh diaper and a t-shirt when we go to bed.

She sleeps however she is comfortable, which is not always on her back. Usually on her side, although if it chilly when she goes to sleep I swaddle her in a fleece for warmth and then she is restricted to her back.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
We use pillows and blankets. I don't usually dress DD3 (3 months) too warmly because we snuggle under the covers together. She doesn't sleep on her back because she is permanantly attached to the boob at night. And DD2(2 years old) sleeps with us. We did the exact same things with DD2 and somehow she thrived.

·
Registered
437 Posts
when ds was little we followed the "rules" now I use a blanket and pillow... yet I wrap the blanket around me tight so it's fitted like a tight sleeping bag, I use a pillows but always be sure to push it back away from ds and have one at my back to give support while nursing on my side. I voted that he sleeps on his back but he's beginning to sleep in all kinds of wierd positions now, most are variations of back and side but occasionally he is on his tummy but being over a yr old I don't think there's much danger. His big brother does come into our bed ocasionally but they never sleep next to each we put older ds in the middle and baby is either in his side car or in our bed on my side.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Our bed is off the floor, DD sleeps between me and the Snug Tuck pillow. I use a pillow and we have blankets on the bed, however the pillow is away from her and she is not covered by the blankets. I am covered usually to my waist. Since she is not covered and our house gets cold at night I dress her warmly, usually in fleece jammies right now. She sleeps on her side, stomach or back, depending on her mood. She'll roll over into the position she wants.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
DD is 6mo old and we have the mattress and box springs on the floor ( still pretty high though) I have a side rail on the side she sleeps on. She is usually in a onsie and shares covers with me (she likes the body heat) she is like a heat seeking missle if I move away she will scoot right next to me. DH sleeps on my other side She rolls but does not crawl yet. and sleeps on side and tummy usually she prefers tummy unless nursing.

When she was an infant she usually slept on my chest and my 5 year old slept next to me ( he felt left out that she was in bed and he wasn't) my now 6 year old sleeps in his own bed most night but sometimes will climb into bed w/ us to if he gets up to pee.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I voted based on how we used to co-sleep, before DD went into her own room.

We used blankets and pillows (I have some adorable pics of DD with the blanket, curled up on the pillow), she slept between DH and I (I was more worried about her rolling off the bed than him rolling on top of her), she slept on her back/side/stomach/however she wanted - including sitting up a few nights. Our bed was on a frame, about knee-height. (have a new bed that is box springs/mattress on the floor, but it's the same height as the old bed on the frame.)

·
Registered
316 Posts
the bed is off the ground. we use pillows and blankets in winter, just a sheet in the summer. baby is dressed somewhat warmly because while we have blankets she sleeps on top of them as she cant stand being covered. i have a bed rail on my side of the bed, she gets flipped from between dp and i to my side dependning on which boob i put her on. she sleeps on her back or on her side, mainly on her side in the crook of my arm. we've been doing pretty much the same things since she was born.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
When DS was a newborn I did not allow him to sleep next to DH as DH is a very heavy sleeper and I was afraid he would harm our DS. However, I slept with pillows (under my head and a body pillow) and blankets over me. I put DS in a sleepsack against the wall. We sleep with our DD as well as our cats in the same bed. DS never was a back sleeper, he would only sleep on his tummy from day one. I never have worried about my children co-sleeping however, when DD was a newborn and we had her in a crib in the same room I worried all the time. No, we don't follow all the "rules", but we do other things to prevent SIDS and suffocation--like BFing, attachment parenting, not smoking in the home, etc. . .

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
we use pillows and duvet (
), a sheet in the summer, ds and dd for that matter kick off the duvet/sheet all the time, the bed isn't too high up off the floor and we have sheepskins to break a fall! DD joins us most mornings at about 4/5 to get some snuggle time Kian sleeps on his side/back/front whatever so no we don't followed the rules as such but so far we've been quite alright and we LOVE sharing sleep, its the best part of the day!

·
Registered
13 Posts
DS is 1 month old and he either sleeps on my chest or next to me. We use blankets and pillows, but he has a sleep sack and the pillows are far away from his face. He hates anything to cover his face, even for a sec, and starts to grunt very loudly and hit it away - so I don't worry anymore. I do keep him away from DH who is a very deep sleeper.

Our bed is really high, so as he becomes more mobile we'll have to consider other arrangements - like moving the bed against the wall.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Henri sleeps right next to me or between dh and I. I can't just stay on one side, and I try to not nurse him on one side only at night, lest I have one huge, sore boob in the morning. He wears cotton sleepers, and when it gets really cold a sleep sack. We keep the house cold at night, so we bundle up. We use blankets ( who doesn't? I'd freeze to death! ) and sometimes Henri rolls over onto his side. We do have a co-sleeper as a safety precaution, however sometimes I will put Henri there so I can stretch out. I have some serious back problems and this is necessary for me sometimes.
Its funny how differently we do things now as opposed to our first child. I was sooooo paranoid about suffocating him and I never got decent sleep because I was worried about him.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
We have blankets and pillows, DD is usually on her side because that is her breastfeeding position, and the bed is off the floor with a bed-rail. And she alternates which side of me she's on, so half the time she's between DH and I.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
blankets, pillows, pillowtop mattress. DS doesn't sleep on his back, but the doctor said it was ok since he's rolling there himself.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
DS is almost 2 now and rarely cosleeps with me anymore (he sleeps alone or with STBX in a twin bed with a rail), so I'm answering for when DS was little and we coslept all the time. For the first couple of days, I didn't use a pillow, then I brought it back and just made sure it was well away from DS. He was born in the winter, so he was almost always dressed in winter PJs and we always used a blanket. The bed is off the floor and we had no rail. He normally slept on his side facing me, but occasionally would sleep on his belly on my or his dad's chest. We even occasionally slept on the couch with him, laying him on our chest, or in the crook of our outside arm.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I have a spelt pillow which I turn so it only takes up half its usual space. dd (8 weeks) mostly sleeps between me and the end of her sisters bed which is butted up at a right angle to ours. She has her own blanket knitted by my mum but sometimes I cover her with our light duvet instead of the blanket.

She sleeps on her side and doesn't settle well on her back. By the early morning she is between me and dh but this is his third co-sleeping experience and he is very aware of who is where in the bed.

In the UK there are no official safe co-sleeping guidelines. The only safe place for your baby to sleep is "In a moses basket (bassinet to you) next to your bed for the first six months"

When I asked my health visitor why there was no safe info in my new baby pack she said that they were discouraging people from doing any kind of co-sleeping as the only baby deaths in the county that year had been co-sleeping ones. When I probed further it turned out these were sofa incidents not bed incidents and two had been dads sleeping with the baby.

I told her that I thought the lack of good info was a problem because many people do co-sleep but don't tell anyone about it and lack of information leaves parents in limbo.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts