Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the oven setting and for how long?
do you use butter or olive oil?
what kinds of seasonings do you use?
any other tips?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I put the oven on a moderate setting like 325 and leave them in until they look golden....turning them half way so they are golden on both sides. I put butter and salt on them but I think olive oil would be fine also. I think you can put cinnamon on them if you want. I would be careful fiving them to young children because of the choking hazzard.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
I like to just toast them in a skillet over medium heat--you don't need any oil or anything. Just warm the pan, dump them in, and stir almost continuously--they will puff up, brown, and give off a fragrant scent when done (about 10 minutes).

Remove them from the heat (but still in the pan) and toss with a little bit of tamari for extra flavor.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I am very scatterbrained!

Here is what I do...I rinse the seeds and pull out any orange goop.

Then while they are wet, i sprinkle them with salt.

Lay on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan in single layer.

Oven 225 and put them in.

I leave them there for a few hours.

They will not burn at that temp. I like to do mine long and slow because I tend to burn things at higher temps because I forget. Plus I have to wonder how high temps harm the beneficial oils in these seeds.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I think you can roast them at various temps./lengths of time as stated above, but I do mine at 300 for about 30 minutes in single layer on a buttered jelly roll pan. After roasting, I tried the recipe below this year and it was tasty. Instead of ginger I used nutmeg, because I didn't have ginger on hand. I didn't line the baking sheet with parchment paper either and it didn't matter.

SWEET SPICY PUMPKIN SEEDS
You can also spice them up by mixing 5 tablespoons sugar ,1/4 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, Pinch cayenne pepper or to taste, and 1 1/2 tablespoons peanut oil. Prepare seeds as above but line the cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl combine 3 tablespoons of the sugar and the salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne.
Heat peanut oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add pumpkin seeds (after baked) and 2 tablespoons sugar. Cook until sugar melts and the pumpkin seeds begin to caramelize, about 45 to 60 seconds. Transfer to bowl with spices and stir well to coat. Let cool.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all!
I ended up just using butter and salt and baking them in the oven.

My picky 9 year old gobbled them up!

Now if I could only get just the seeds without going through the hassel of scooping out a pumpkin and cleaning off the orange gunk!

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I toss them with olive oil, blot them if they feel too oily, then sprinkle with lots of sea salt. I also toast the seeds of squash that I use for baking or for soup, so I frequently have small amounts of seeds to toast. I do them in the toaster oven, which is nice because it's easy to see so I don't forget about it. I set the temp at 350, and it takes maybe a half hour or so. I stir them once or twice in that time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.