Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.1%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
We unschool.

Did you mean for this to go to one of the education forums? I was just thinking it might get moved.

ETA: We came to our decision because we don't care for forced curriculum, grades, and schedules.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
My kids are in PS right now. I homeschooled in our last school district, moved here (which is well known for it's good public schools...even though it's a mainly Mennonite community...no issues with me!) and the kids have been doing great in the PS.

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
Public school - although my kids attend school in a different district then the one we live in through our state's school choice program because I wasn't happy with our town's public school. The one they go to now we absolutely LOVE!!! We are actually trying to move now so we will be in that district.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Dd goes to a public school with a particular curriculum: they do LOTS of arts (like more than 12 hours a week). The school is called FACE (Fine Arts Core Education), and it is bilingual (both anglophone and francophones go there, they are separated for math, french, english, but together for art and music classes when they are a bit older. Unlike many schools with this type of programs, they don't do auditions, it is first come, first served, so ALL kids get the chance to go there (if their parents go there early enough on egistratin day)

I would love to homeschool, but dh is not for the lost income, and I really need to finish my thesis

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
We homeschool. Dh and I have always known we were going to homeschool our kids for many reasons. Some of which include; individually tailored curriculum, scheduling flexibility, not wanting to be away from the kids for what practically amounts to a full-time workweek...

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
We're homeschooling. We came to that decision after observing our oldest (then, our only) and realizing that his needs would not be met well in school. So, we based our decision on the idea of having a customized educational path. Nowadays, we probably base our decision on the freedom aspect of homeschooling. We can learn what we want, how we want, in what order we want, when we want...We do not have to ask permission to go to interesting places (i.e. vacation and field trips). We can spend our evenings how we want.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I voted unschooler, but we might be very relaxed homeschoolers. Honestly I don't know what the appropriate label is.

Initially we decided to keep dds out of the public schools because
*they use corporal punishment
*they do NOT design their programs or environments in a way that supports learning. (According to my philosophy and all the education research I have read)

We interviewed local private schools too, but save one they were impossibly (for us) religious. The one we did consider had some other serious drawbacks:
*phonics intense K program
*still religious
*social scene is undesirable, to me - Junior League and Old Money almost exclusively - little racial diversity

Still, though it seems from the above that homeschooling/unschooling was a default for us, we LOVE it! Why was I ever so worried about taking that leap?
My list of why we homeschool/unschool now is almost entirely unrelated to the above concerns.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You know,I would miss my children SO MUCH if they were in government school all day. My oldest son,who will be 13 next month,has never been to school. We are so connected,so close. He still holds my hand when we walk places.
we are definitely unschoolers. John Holt fans

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
We use the excellent public schools in our district. We bought our house largely based on school district. My dds will be going into K and 3rd grade next year. So far, so good. We are strong supporters of public education and we like the ethnic diversity our school district offers.

Homeschooling would be my personal hell. I went to a private catholic school and would never send my kids to a religious school. The non-catholic private schools are way too expensive for us (we want to be able to send our kids to college) and have a near complete lack of diversity.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFmom
Homeschooling would be my personal hell.

Me too! :LOL

DD's go to a lovely public school. I LOVE their school.

I loved school, DH loved school, dd's love school. I guess we are just those kind of people.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
We currently don't school because dd is only 6 months old. We have, however, put a lot of thought into this and we will be sending our kids to a great Catholic school. DH went their and loved it. Most of the teachers are the same as when he was a kid (his 4th grade teacher is now the Asst. Principal.) If our kids don't work out in a school atmosphere then I'll homeschool them, but for now we plan to have them go from K to 8th grade at Catholic school and then figure out high school for each individule child (the Catholic high is not an option here because the school is corrupt!)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Homeschooling.

Why?

Textbooks are lousy, I don't agree with the values that public schools teach, I think school promotes abnormal socialization, I don't think mass education is efficacious, I don't want to conform to the school schedule, I don't want the government to tell me what my kids have to learn, I don't want my kids standardized-tested, I don't want my kids to be treated as averages kid when we all know that they are extra-special
and I don't want my kids gone all day.

Namaste!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.