Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realise I'm the only ont that can nurse in the night, but there are times babe wakes up and is not interested in nursing but wants to 'talk', kick about, etc. I do the nursing and all other parenting at night.

Some nights I don't mind, some nights I feel angry that dh is sleeping away while I'm wide awake with ds.
Dh has to get up for work in the morn so I figure he should sleep, but I also need to be revived for the next day.

I'd like to hear from others as to how they share. Or do I just need to suck it up?

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
If my baby doesn't want to nurse, then her father will get up and rock her. He understands that our children are far more important than his job and it's important that I have my rest. I don't get to take a nap or get a break like he does.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I do most of it, but I too will wake up DH to take the baby if he doesnt want to nurse and I am too tired. I ask him to take him out of the room until he (the baby) is ready to go back to sleep so I can sleep undisturbed. Then they come back to bed. It doesnt happen very often though.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I've almost always taken care of most of the nighttime parenting. When dc's were newborns dh would help with diaper changes at night while I did the nursing. Once they were out of the newborn stage I let dh sleep through most of the night wakings. Both of my dc's are early risers so as long as I took care of the night wakings dh could get up early (5am) with the baby and I could get another 1-2 hours of sleep before he left for work. It worked great for us and I knew that at least one of us was rested and would be able to take on all the necessary running the household things if I was too tired. And of course, I wouldn't have to listen to any complaining from dh about being tired
. There were of course some times where I would get dh up (sick baby, exceptionally tired, etc...) but most times it was all me. Still is actually
Although dh does most of the nighttime parenting with ds (now 4).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
night diapers in dh court for a long time, although around 7-8 months we started switching off because i wasn't quite so fried and in the groove with the night-nursing. approx. every other fuss dh tries to comfort ds; if it is a total failure i nurse but a lot of the time he will drop off on dh's chest. the exception is when something big is happening developmentally and ds is extra-needy; then i don't even fight him on the night nursing. but otherwise, we share.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I do the nursing, dh does everything else. He does much better than I do with broken/lack of sleep.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MelKnee View Post
I do the nursing, dh does everything else. He does much better than I do with broken/lack of sleep.
Same here! We have great husbands!

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Dp sleeps on the couch and DD only wakes up to nurse so I do it all (except in the morning when she is up and I still want to sleep- DP changes her and plays with her a little before work.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I do all the night nursing; we try to share the general nighttime soothing. It seems like most of the time I wake up before DS even makes a peep, while DH can sleep until there's actual crying. He says I should wake him up, since I'm the one who has to go to work in the morning, but I'm awake whether or not I'm the one doing the soothing, so I often just go in myself.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I do 100% of it. In fairness, our DD only wants to nurse, so DH couldn't do that. But I also get up with her in the morning 100% of the time. No, I'm not pleased about it. Yes, I've told DH. No, thus far he hasn't changed his behavior. However, after tonight's conversation about him not ever getting up with her, he has claimed that he will now get up with her sometimes. We'll see. It bums me out to see that no one else has a DH who seems to be as lame as mine is in this regard.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post
I do 100% of it. In fairness, our DD only wants to nurse, so DH couldn't do that. But I also get up with her in the morning 100% of the time. No, I'm not pleased about it. Yes, I've told DH. No, thus far he hasn't changed his behavior. However, after tonight's conversation about him not ever getting up with her, he has claimed that he will now get up with her sometimes. We'll see. It bums me out to see that no one else has a DH who seems to be as lame as mine is in this regard.
Hey, that's my guy, too
: ! Night time parenting is his weakness. (He's generally a big growly bear until at least ten minutes after fully waking...always has been.) Early on he helped a little. And he does stay up with her if he's already awake (this helps tremendously now that I'm pregnant). He's also started a Sunday morning tradition of taking DD to a friends house for breakfast and the park (with the doggies). I'm hoping that this is not just because I'm pregnant...because that would suck to go back to never getting to sleep in once babe#2 arrives.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Usually I do it all, since dh has to get up and go to work. I know technically so do I but well, I can't get fired and he can
so it is preferable that he is able to function the next day. I have been a professional working person and I agree with him that sleep is important when he needs to interact with the owners of the company and such. Although neither is EASY, It is easier IMO to stay home w/o sleep then it is to go into an office and perform your job duties. Plus I could nap with ds if I needed, or even hand him off and nap when dh gets home.

If it is something terribly out of the norm like ds is sick, screaming, needs a diaper change, etc., or I am at the end of my rope, dh always helps. This is not often, thankfully.

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
My girls both generally have always had their long stretches of sleep at night, and have slept well with a few nursings throughout the night; mostly their diapers have stayed dry 'till morning. So it generally makes sense for me to do the nighttime stuff, since only I can nurse and dh woh while I sah and can nap or rest when Baby does. Dh has been great about sitting up with a congested baby on a couple of occasions, but they're rarely sick.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
DH gets up if our 15mo wakes for any reason, and to give him his bottle in the morning. He will also get up and play with Henri if Henri wakes up playful ( which has been happening a lot lately
: ) I'd say we divide things up very evenly, and I have no problems with our nighttime arrangements.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Quote:
He does much better than I do with broken/lack of sleep.
We are the opposite. To me, sleep is just a bodily function, like urinating: I wouldn't do it if I didn't have to, it annoys me by interrupting other things I'm doing, and the only time I enjoy it is when I need it really badly. I'm almost always clear-headed and ready for anything within a minute or two of awakening. EnviroDaddy loves sleeping, can sleep 18 hours out of 24 even when healthy, and after a few nights of sleep deprivation becomes almost psychotic. His brain takes at least half an hour to warm up to full functionality.

So, I do almost all the nighttime parenting. He helps when there's a crisis or I'm burned out, but that works a lot better if I wake him BEFORE I'm overwhelmed so he can take a few minutes to get his bearings before I fling the baby at him and stomp away. The first month was tough because EnviroBaby was awake (and usually shrieking) for long stretches in the middle of the night, which was hard on both parents, and the one who wasn't "on duty" had trouble sleeping anyway. These days, he usually sleeps through the night, and if he does wake I'm usually able to get him back down quickly.

I usually handle bedtime myself because it goes faster if I'm already there when EnviroBaby decides (sometimes in the middle of a story) that it's time to nurse. But if I'm struggling to get something done in the evening, EnviroDaddy reads the stories and summons me for nursing.

Sometimes EnviroBaby insists on getting up before the alarm goes off on a weekday, or he wants to get up earlier than I do on a weekend. In those cases, usually EnviroDaddy will get up with him. We've agreed that this is fair because I do so much of the nighttime parenting and because of another difference in our sleep "wiring": Once I'm fully awake in daylight, it's difficult for me to go back to sleep, whereas EnviroDaddy is able to fall asleep again if EnviroBaby decides (as he often does) that he got up too early after all and is going to have a little morning nap.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Dh gets up with the older dds in the middle of the night and i get up for dd3 in the middle of the night. We do take turn on the wkend to sleep in. He does sat and i do sun. He goes out with the 2 olders to the early yrs center and i go to church with all 3 of them.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I do everything. But to be fair, DH is military and half the year, he isn't there to help at all anyway. And his job, while not as important as our family, well, if he's not fully rested, I wouldn't want to be on the plane with him. He does wake up with the boy on Sundays and lets me sleep in.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Well it's different for us because we have a babe and 3yo. Our ds (babe) never really wakes up in the night and if so, it's only to be changed which I do. Our dd wakes up alot and sometimes has to pee or get a drink and we take turns with her. We also take turns getting up with her in the morning, unless ds is awake too and then I get up with both of them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts