Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing people say they side-car a crib to their bed. How do you do that?? We have a beautiful unused crib ... were thnkiing of getting a queen mattress ( we have a full now)... but I would be willing to try the crib as a side-car first!<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm a newbie to MDC, but I think what people mean is what we tried with our dc (unfortunately "side-carring" didn't work, dc still wanted to snuggle BETWEEN us)...<br>
You take one side off the crib (normally the side that goes up and down to put dc in - like with a convertable crib, you'll be left with the headboard, footboard, and one side) and push the open side up against your bed. Simple! Can be effective, but like I said, my dc didn't want anything to do with it, hehe!

·
Registered
51 Posts
We just did this with our convertible crib that goes from a crib to a toddler bed to a double bed. We transitioned it to a toddler bed, but kept the mattress in the highest postion, the crib went in the corner with the open side out and we pushed our bed up against it. There is a small space between the crib mattress and the bed, but our 18 lb DD is not able to get stuck in it. I also swaddle her and have a wedge by her side so she isn't going anywhere. I find it works for half of the night, I just roll over to nurse her in the beginning, but by the middle of the night when her nursing frequency increases I just end up scooting her into the bed with me.<br><br>
I'm not sure how this would work with a crib that wasn't convertible, but I bet there are things you can do. Good luck if you try it out.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies..<br><br>
Our crib doesn't have a side that moves down.. all sides are stationary and it does convert to a full bed but not a toddler bed..<br><br>
At least now I have some ideas taht I can share with DH. He flip/flops on the whole co-sleeping thing, he didn't want to waste money on a co-sleeper because we have a cradle and crib.. that we don't use.<br>
We try to put DH in the cradle at first, so i can run around and get some things done and the first time he wakes up he comes into bed with us, or just start wtih him in bed with us. DS is getting too big for the cradle so now DH wants to try the crib.. but I don't want DS in the other room because I'll wake up when I need to nurse and now I just roll over! So figured we'll try to do something with the crib.<br><br>
Ah welll.. we'll try the side-car thing and see how that goes... then if it doesn't work.. buy the queen and try again!<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
We did this for almost a year and it worked well! We adjusted the crib height and took off the rail side that raises and lowers. Then we just used our mattress and box spring on the floor and they matched up perfectly. We had the crib against the wall, and pushed the queen bed tightly against it. This gave us just enough room. My son spent a few hours in there, then the rest in the middle. When he was about 2 and a half, we bought a twin mattress and box spring and used that where the crib had been. It's now like one huge bed! Be careful to measure the heights carefully though so you buy the correct size.

·
Registered
437 Posts
here's how we side carred our crib <a href="http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsFamily/sidecarcrib.msnw" target="_blank">http://groups.msn.com/SteveandLishsF...decarcrib.msnw</a> ->photos and instructions- since both sides of your crib are stationary it won't matter which side you take off ( it only matters that you leave a stationary side on)<br>
Best wishes

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the link to your instrutions and pictures!!! That was such a big help!!!!! They will so help me to explain it to DH!!!!<br><br>
Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
So glad i could help- if anything isn't clear or need more explanation please let me know-i'd be glad to help- or even take more photos<br><br>
edited to add that MSN is having some troubles right now and the page won't come up...so if you try to access it and it won't display try again later- I'm not sure what's going on with MSN but I'm sure it will be back (it better be- i put a lot of work into it )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts