Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious what everyone else does to keep their sanity when the little one starts screaming in the carseat. Ten minutes from home and Liam (4mo) gets so mad that he is growling. When we finally get home, pull into the garage, he is fine. He was just mad. Not hungry, or wet. He actually looked at me and laughed when I went to get him out. We were on the highway headed home so there was not a good place to stop to try to placate him. I just kept telling myself and him that we would be there soon. I even did the uncomfortable reaching back to rub the side of his face, but it did not help. I was practically in tears myself by the time we got there.
:

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Is he still in an infant seat? You might try changing to a convertible seat. Around that age my dd didn't like they lying down position at all any more.

-Angela

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is still in the infant seat. He is about 15lbs now. We have been discussing a convertible, but have not decided on what brand/model to buy yet.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My daughter screamed in her carseat until we started playing music with bass. She loves dancehall, especially Sugar Minnot.

Hope he feels better in the car soon! It's so hard when they're crying back there!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would reach back and give my daughter my finger. Wasn't the most comfortable position but it worked...also...I wouldn't do it unless traffic was very light and I was on a back road (I live in the country so I'm usually on back roads.) Also, I sing songs. Singing seems to help tremendously. Her favorite songs are the ABC's, You are my Sunshine and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

Good luck!

·
Registered
770 Posts
i sing to my son when he's upset in the car. we also have toys that are just for the car. he seems to be more interested in them if they seem new to him.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluebonnet
I would reach back and give my daughter my finger.
Can I say that I just read that as you were giving your dd "THE FINGER"

I thought to myself...yeah, sometimes I feel like that too!

·
Registered
891 Posts
I sing...the louder/more upset my ds gets, the louder I sing. In particular, I sing "Hush little baby"...that's the only one that seems to work. Usually that will keep him happy the entire ride home....sometimes I'm not so lucky. If someone is in the car with me, I make them sit in the backseat and keep him entertained.
:

Wendi

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Korimomto2
Can I say that I just read that as you were giving your dd "THE FINGER"

I thought to myself...yeah, sometimes I feel like that too!

LMAO-I was thinking the same thing for a second.

My dd didn't like car rides until we got out Britax Blvd. Now she loves car rides

·
Registered
380 Posts
It used to be the radio when the kids were really little. Now I have the,"he touched me" or "he looked at me funny!" stuff going on. Books on tape/cd are awesome to play while driving. Also investing in $10 walkmans has been very good for long trips. For me valium.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
How about frozen fruit in a mesh feeder? I know your ds is only 4mo but he'd only get a tiny bit of juice (we use a frozen peach slice). Ds loves it and its the only thing that keeps him happy the whole trip (unless he drops it and i have to pull over and get it for him)

·
Registered
351 Posts
I really don't mean to hijack this thread, but I was literally just going to post about my Britax Boulevard experience so far. We've only had it for a few days, but I find ds is a lot more unhappy in it than he was in his infant seat.

I had a fun little Tinylove take along arch that I had attached to his old infant seat and he loved playing with it. I can't attach such a toy to his convertible seat, and when I give him a toy to play with, he pitches it out of his hand with three minutes and is again unhappy.

Any suggestions? I have tried music and singing but it doesn't seem to have much of an effect. Maybe I just need to sing louder as the pp suggested.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. The peach slice sounds interesting, if not a little messy! We have a mirror back there, but not a toy bar. I will probably try to find one. This little guy just gets so upset sometimes, even when big sister is back there with him. He has such a strong personality!
It will be awhile before we get a new seat, probably not until he is around 19lbs, it is not in the budget at the moment
I usually sing at the top of my lungs, but I do not think it helps him, it just gives me something else to focus on (my bad singing!)

·
Registered
221 Posts
We dealt with this too for quite a while -- I tried to minimize driving but still had a few tremendous cry-outs on the highway (I cried too). It seemed to magically disappear somewhere around 5-6 months, but here are some things that seemed to help:

turn the radio on somewhere between stations so there's loud static (white noise very calming)

turn on quiet classical music

make sure baby has a view of something (we had to take out the middle seat headrest so he could see out the back)

affix some kind of soft rattle toy to the back of the seat so baby can kick it

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just thought of something else I did when dd went throught the stage of not wanting to ride in the car. If we were going on a trip that took say longer than 10-15min, I would plan it to her nap/or when she gets sleepy and she would sleep the whole time.

If I am going on a long ride(more than 30-45 min) I still do it now. It helps alot. Not sure if your little one falls asleep easily in the car though.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
I just thought of something else I did when dd went throught the stage of not wanting to ride in the car. If we were going on a trip that took say longer than 10-15min, I would plan it to her nap/or when she gets sleepy and she would sleep the whole time.

If I am going on a long ride(more than 30-45 min) I still do it now. It helps alot. Not sure if your little one falls asleep easily in the car though.
I also do my best to plan trips over 1/2 hour long to occur during her naps. If I put her in the carseat when she is almost ready for a nap, she will cry for 5 minutes (she cries for 5 mins no matter what I do before a nap anyway, maybe she just needs to realease energy? I dunno) and after the 5 minutes she goes to sleep. She sleeps well in the bucket carseat, for up to 1-1.5 hours (normal nap length). To get anywhere (I live in the boonies) it takes about 1/2 hour so this is the best approach for me, to drive during her nap times. Its also best if either me or dh rides in the back with her during longer trips (to visit our parents, a 1.5 hr drive) so one of us can entertain her while the other drives. I know thats not always possible, too. I dread this friday when I will be traveling alone with her. Hopefully I can plan to leave around nap time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
we are off again this morning, we will see how it goes. Big sister will be back there for the first half, but not on the return ride home. She has a dance class today. Then we have to go back a few hours later to pick her back up. I am going to try the static on the radio and see if that works. We listen to classical music all the time on NPR. Wish us luck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.