Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
strange title sorry. I have been trying to teach my 1 yr old lab "leave it" in reference to everything she cant touch. but there has to be other ways of teaching them what they are doing is unacceptable.

She is still snapping at me (just me no one eles) when I pat her 80% of the time. The vet says nothing is wrong. Dh says shes herding me. Which she totally is not, b.c if I pat her she jumps then runs away, then runs back to snap. but other days she will just let me sit on the couch at her and pat her.

should I (or everyone) just not pat her for awhile. I dont know. Ive never hit her, I do know there was one day a few weeks ago when she was being so crazy and biting dustys legs and wouldnt stop, no matter how many times I seperated them and kept her in the kitchen. I know I yelled at her. Not fair but I was so stressed with the move, with trying to get stuff done myself and having to deal with her. could me yelling at her really have set this off?

Me telling her leave it in reference to Dusty is really working, Ive been real careful to catch her before she lays any teeth on dusty. Ive also stepped up training outside now that its nice, and we have been doing "no jumping" training.

I know there was recent post where someone was having trouble with their dog durning bath time, and someone had mentioned b.c she was stopping the bathing and calming her pup that she was teaching them it was ok. Could I be doing something like that???? should I keep trying to pat her even though she is trying to nip me??

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Are you actually trying to "pat" her like in an up and down motion? Or is it more of a stroking motion? The longer, firmer and slower your strokes the better they will be received. My dogs don't like it when I "pat" them unless it's for a specific reason. I do use a tap to release them from a point so that the don't associate a word with their release. Try using firm strokes over the top of her head and down her ears. If she still nips you, I would stop and go back to step one where you are the fount from which all good things flow!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not on the couch , actually if shes lounging is really the only time she doesnt do it. she does it if I just go to reach for her. I try to do long strokes. I just dont know if I should keep pushing the issue, Ive tried having her sit, pat her , treat her if she doesnt nip. It usually never happens. She always jumps up if I reach for her. we had this problem way back when we first got her. When she was 5 months old. We did go to training and the problem seemed to stop and now its back. Again its just me she does this with.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Now I am not there so I can not see what is going on but I wonder if this has somehow become a very reinforcing game for her? When my little herding girl was a youngster she would mouth and nip when you petted her out of over stimulation and excitement.

And, the more worked up I got about it, the more worked up she got and around we went.

If I were in your shoes I would ignore her unless she is actively working for you. No more free attention at all. I would check out the NILIF program (some call it grounding) because it really teaches you ways to help manage a pushy or rambunctious dog.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Considering she is only doing this with you, it almost sounds like it is a dominance thing.
First off, I would practice NILIF, like the PP mentioned, (you can google it for more info) with her religiously.
Secondly, even though she shouldn't be snapping at you, I think all dogs should have a place where they can be peacefully where no one bothers them. Wether a crate or a mat where they know they are safe.
You could also try behavior modification. even though this article is about object guarding I think you could use the same technique to allow your dog to look forward to your petting.
Also, I agree with one of the PP about the patting vs. firm petting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.